1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help I

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by pun299, Dec 18, 2010.

1. pun299

pun299 Junior Member

I came across a 2005 dodge ram 2500 cummins 4x4, quad cab, short bed forsale. This is the truck that I have always wanted but I wanted to get some input on weather or not its even worth looking into it further. My friend knows the person selling it and he said that he would let it go for around $13500. My issue with the truck is the mileage, it has 170000 on it. The truck looks very clean, only 1 owner, I crawled under it and it wasn t rusted to hell. I have no clue yet as to what has been replaced and whats hasnt. Right now I have a 2001 ford f150 4x4, 5.4 V8 with 70000 miles. I want a heavy duty truck that I can plow with and this is my dream truck. Would it be wise to buy this truck with so many miles on it and get rid of mine that still has low miles? I hear people say all the time that the engine would make it to 300000 but I dont want to buy it and then have to put a bunch of money into. What repairs would you think will need to be done in the near future on it? I only get 10 mpg and this truck is getting 17 mpg so that alone I think would be worth it. If any one has any comments or opinions I would love to hear it. Thanks

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

ask the owner what has been done on it. id budget a good chunck of money for repairs with any kind of truck with that milage. its really a crapshoot.

3. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

What sno commander said, repairs are inevitable with that many miles.

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

With that many miles I'd plan on having $3000-$4000 in the bank for a tranny rebuild (go with a high end built 48RE and you won't have problems again). Depending on when the owner has done it- the front end will probably need work as well. Other possibilities will be the blend door (directs the heat/ac to different vents) which is a fairly simple fix on the 03-05's.

Other than that they are reliable trucks. The axles are great, brakes are big and last, there is plenty of aftermarket for them (including the front end that will be a one time fix and never again).

I'd try to get it for $12000 or so.

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Ya, I'm with plowguy, shoot for the $12,ish range.

6. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Just don't lowball off the get go. These trucks can last more less more than a life time if they are treated well. The first step is to find out what you are going to be getting. Ask if the owner would drop it off at a mechanics shop so you can have the front end and brakes inspected. This is the best $70 investment you can make. While its there you will find out any problems with the truck and get a feel of the charactor of the owner.

From here you will know what it is worth. Perhaps the guy who has it now is very fussy about his vehicles then the $13 500 is not that bad of a deal. Also look for trailers or heavy load signs on the truck. This truck can pull anything but in time the trans will feel the heat. Good luck and don't drag your heals. These trucks will not last long if they are priced right.

7. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

As others have said have the truck looked over. See if the tranny has been rebuilt already, how are the ball joints, how are the u-joints, does the 4X4 work properly, how worn is the interior and break pedal? Those engines are well known for more than 300k, you may need to do an injector pump down the road but other than that i would not worry about anything. I would however strongly recommend using OEM oil filters with these engines.

8. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

I would check to ensure that he has been changing his fuel filter and his oil. Also check to see what other maintenance he has been doing

9. schockservices

schockservices Junior Member
    from ND

All I have ever owned is Dodge 2500's loan value on the truck is probably in the 12k range to be fair the cummins is a strong runner but alos like everyone else is saying check maintinence records. I would say the front end components need attention take her for a test drive run her to a tire shop to check alignment they will tell you if the front end is toast or not also injectors are the next question I know a kid who had to change his at 140k. Green Grass is right too with scheduled maintinence. I have only put one tranny in and it was a 98 due to mud runs my bad on my 7th year with my 01 no tranny issues yet. Good luck.