1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! I only have one truck light

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snowish10, Jan 10, 2013.

1. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2001 f350, I have a new wiring light harness. I only have the passenger headlight on, the driver side is not burned out, but does not go on, and both headlights on high beam work. I even switched the passenger side port into the driver side and it worked. Both fuses are still good.

Any ideas on what it is or what I could do ???????

2. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

Im assuming you have a 4 port module?
    If so your module works because you switched ports.

Follow the driver side plow light harness from module down to were you
    plug your factory plug into. It should go in 2 ways.
    HB1 or HB5- you should have HB5 (if your lights are the composite style)
    Make sure your OEM plug is installed on the HB5 side.(if you have glass bulbs
    like they have had from the old days, disregard last paragraph and leave more info
    or private message your number)

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If you have a four headlight system on a GM you may have the connection from the OEM headlight plug to the western harness plugged in 180 degrees out. But that is only if it has never worked. If it worked previously that will not be the problem.

A bit more detail would help. What kind of truck, what model plow, V, straight or Wide-out? Three plugs at grill or two? Three port isolation module or two? New installation or was working for years before it failed?

4. snowish10

Western ultra mount pro plus. 3 plugs at the grill with a 3 port module, and somewhat new, i installed it in the summer. I went to a local shop " regional" they said it was something to do wit the actually truck headlight connection. They ran a test and everything came out perfectly fine with all the western wiring.
    Its working now so will see if it happens again. lol

5. mishnick

If it worked before and then failed it's hooked up right. You must have a bad connection that makes and breaks. If it failes again I would try plugging the vehicle headlight plugs back into the bulbs to eliminate the Western stuff. If it works then you know it's a bad Western wire, if not you need to fix the vehicle light wiring.

6. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

I had the same problem, turned out to be the plug was bad.
    I bought a new one around $100 and now my headlights work fine with low and high.

7. snowish10

Yes it is connected! And I know for a fact its not the western wiring because the light wiring for western is brand new.

8. snowish10

Is that for just the plug or for the plug and install?

9. MSsnowplowing

That was just for the plug and cord, they are pretty easy to remove and put a new one in.

10. snowish10

Is it just a plug you connect into or do you have to connect the wires?

11. mishnick

When you say the light wiringe is brand new do you mean just the headlight harness that goes from the lamps to the isolation module or all the Western wireing? If you have a new headlight harness then I would be looking at the wire that goes from the isolation module out to the grill and the one that plugs into that goes to the headlights. Both of these are easy to replace but they are not cheap and it would be nice to know for sure before you start tossing good parts. Take a good look at the plugs at the grill and see if you can see any damage. Usually they fail just behind the plug but you need to see which half is the problem.

12. snowish10

Light harness is less than 2 months old and the rest is old 6 months old. Yes they are connected I know for fact that they never disconnected at all.

13. MSsnowplowing

It was the wire with the plug that goes from the module out to the grill, the one that plugs into the headlights.

Ask the shop where you got your plow if they have one to test it before buying a new one -(They cost around $100)

You might get lucky and they might have a used one for a lot less.

Good luck

14. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Do truck lights work with plow unhooked??

15. snowish10

Its not the wires its brand new 2 months old and they tested it with another brand new one. I know its in actual test headlight connection. And there 150+ by me.

16. snowish10

Nope, both with the plow plugged in and without, But my headlight works now so Im good.

17. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Sound like your grill connection did not make a good contact.

18. snowish10

Its not the connection at the grill. Its my factory headlight on my truck.