1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help, i may have damaged the plow!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jerseydrew, Feb 16, 2014.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

yesterday while pushing snow i ran into the end of a metal railing that is about 8 or so inches off the ground. and i went into the point of it not broad side. it ht the plow on the drivers side about 4 inches in from the end and about 2 or so inches above the scrape edge. it definitely left a dent, but that isn;t the issue. i not have smurf blood everywhere. the plow did not work right after the hit. it would studder and not lift on first push of the button. i took the cover off and saw there was fluid near where the drain plug is so i tightened it back up. i also took the fill plug off and added some fluid. after doing some purging (like you would for a power steering pump, up, down up down left right and so on) it seemed to work fine and still works just fine but i have a pool of smurf blood again under where i parked the truck last night. could i have over filled it?

BTW this is a western HTS plow.

2. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

i just looked at the mechanics manual and from what i can tell first off my HTS doesn't have a breather it has the same plug in the fill and in the drain holes. then from where i see the fluid originating from looks like i blew out the O-ring between the reservoir and the valve block. seems like a simple fix. i guess when i hit a stationary object the pressure from the system had to go somewhere.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Whoever built your plow failed to remove the shipping plug. It's supposed to b replaced with the plastic vent plug with 5 psi relief valve. Plastic valve goes in top of res and metal in bottom. Using that solid plug in both will allow reservoir pressure to exceed 5 lbs and blow seals. Replace the fill plug and reservoir o-ring then top it up and run it. Look for more "smurf blood" and then repair as necessary. Probably should b fine depending on how hard u hit that thing. Crossover relief valves should have compensated.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  4. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

that's what i was thinking...

get an O-ring
    breather
    2 quarts of fluid and figure it out from there.

hopefully that will take care of it. oh and i had it installed at the most reputable dealer within 50 miles of me... oh well.

5. mishnick

If they do in deed have a good reputation they will appreciate hearing from you that they screwed up so they can "educate" the individual who screwed up. Perhaps, if they really care, they will give you those few parts and fluid for free. At my shop I would fix that for free just to restore my good rep. We are human and new techs need to be brought in all the time. Mistakes are a part of training but compensation is just good business...

6. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

They didn't really care too much. I got the parts needed and will get it some today and hopefully works perfect for the storm coming tonight.

7. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

just got finished.. i drained the fluid and pulled off the reservoir and noticed the mounting tabs where tweeked. like the pressure pused the reservoir off enough to create the leak. the o-ring looked fine but since i was there i replaced it anyway. i straightened the tabs on the reservoir and put her back together. filled to the recommended 1 inch below the fill and put the new breather on. hooked it onto the truck and she was working great. everything has a slight coat of fluid right now cause i am messy but i parked the truck in a dry area so i should see if there is a leak in a little while. before the blue fluid was quite obvious. so it "looks" like i have fixed the issue. thanks to mishnick for the pointers and response.

8. mishnick

Excellent! Now let's just hope for no blue snow.

9. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

no blue fluid! so all seems well. i will probably check the level later and make sure it is where it needs to be now that i have run it.

10. daman

daman Member

Off topic,,some what..

funny i was just checking one of our westerns today and noticed no vent plug both are solid plugs,where can a guy get a vented plug? dealer only??

and should it have suction or pressure relief??

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  11. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

they have the part numbers on the western site, then you can google it and order it online. but my dealer was very competitive with pricing and they had it in stock so i got it local.

12. daman

daman Member

Any chance you have the part number or something i can go off of,i did a search at western and all I'm seeing is regular plug,not vented.

13. mishnick

Plastic 5psi plug is #21727-2K. U can but them new online for about $22 us. They cost me $38 Cdn here! This cap vents at 5psi and allows air in at -0.1 psi. This prevents the reservoir from breathing (keeping moisture out) and prevents the res from over pressure. When it's working u should hear air release when u open it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  14. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

just looked at my invoice and that certainly is the number i got.

15. daman

daman Member

Thanks men!