1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help I Keep Frying Toggle Switches!!!

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by FOX-SNO-REMOVAL, Feb 4, 2011.

FOX-SNO-REMOVAL Senior Member

I keep frying the toggle switches that control my e60. I through a new set of switches in and it works great for a couple hours then will barley work. I dont no if im just over working the switches or what. I dont think the solenoids are pulling enough amps to melt the contacts in a 20amp switch. I though about buying the tough pad or the pistol grip controller but i just don t want to fry one of them to.
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like a bad ground issue. check all of your connections at the batt, pump and solenoid.
  3. LawnzzzANDsnow

LawnzzzANDsnow Junior Member

make sure that no wires are touching one another
  4. nathan11507

nathan11507 Member

Yeah u got a bad ground or wires touching somewhere that touch every once in a while i had the same issue like two weeks ago an it was one of my running bulbs fell outta of the soccket and the wires would touch each other when it had some vibration in the plow and then bam fried the fuses and some wires check over everything it may be something simple
  5. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Is the power source for your switches fused? I'd think youd blow a fuse before the switch burnt out.

All grounds are excellent and no wires are touching Ive went through everything countless times. And yes my power is fused and pulled directly from the fuse box.This is why i cant figure out what exactly is happening.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I do not see a Meyer in your sig?? do you have an employee running this plow? does he understand not to hold the switch on after the plow has reached it's travel limits? I've seen 12volt motor solenoids melted because of operators doing this. The other issue could be a failing 12 volt motor solenoid drawing high amperage demands.

No im running the plow. Its a 8' Meyers I just picked it up a few months ago to put on my 1996 f350 PSD. They plow worked great for the first couple months i had it, but now it just wont stop acting up.
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They like attention. :D

Do you have the ability to test amperage draw?
  10. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

What amp rating fuse do you have in the power wire to the toggles?

Even if there is excessive amp draw on the motor solenoid / coils it should blow the power fuse long before it takes out the toggle switches.

As Basher said , it could be a case of a motor solenoid going south on you, but if the power wire is over fused it will take out the toggle's first and not blow the power fuse .

OEM fuse was 15 amp IIRC.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I think it would have to be in the 12 volt motor solenoid circuit as that is the shared circuit between the two switches. It could be on the ground side, what 12v MS do you have three terminal or four terminal? If it is a three try a four terminal and make sure the ground on from the fourth terminal is attached directly to the battery.

Ya the fuse is a 15 amp so i agree it should blow before it toasts the switch. And i have the 3 prong ms. I think the motor is starting to go from wht ive read because i have noticed it pulling alot of amps but i dont see how it should affect the controls.