1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! How to make this season more enjoyable?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MowingisMaddnes, Sep 9, 2013.

1. MowingisMaddnes

MowingisMaddnes Member

Hello snow loving peeps,
    Looking for your opinions and feedback... my rig is set: 3500 dump, with 9.2 V Boss and salt spreader. Used it for many years, paid for, love it, not changing it. So here is the question... Without changing my basic setup, what simple upgrades can I do to make my snow season more enjoyable? Like...
    1)best wiper blades
    2)best windshield washer fluid
    3)best communications setup
    4)best way to keep your feet warm
    5)best clothing for inside and cab
    6)best clothing for outside the cab
    7)BEST gloves made by man for snow removal
    8)best food to keep in the cab
    9) anything else you use to enjoy the snow!
    10) slight plow or control equipment upgrades
    11)best way to keep your back from getting so painful you can't walk the next day

:popcorn:Of course I will assume your suggestions are legal...
    Really looking for things that won't break the bank, but will help make the seat time more enjoyable...:popcorn:

...hopefully you are getting my drift:nod: I know I could search and search the site for everyone's opinion but I thought this would be a great summary thread for the upcoming 2013-14 snow fighting season:drinkup:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Satellite radio and a Blondie sitting with you.

3. Nitsuj

Nitsuj Junior Member

Here's my answers, but keep in mind, I'm not an expert. I'm a pretty green plow truck driver.

1)best wiper blades

Haven't found them yet. I usually just get something mid grade, not cheapie, not super gimmicky, and I've been mostly satisfied.

2)best windshield washer fluid

I just get a jug of what they have.

3)best communications setup

iPhone.

4)best way to keep your feet warm

My best method is to stay in the truck and let someone else handle the shoveling.

5)best clothing for inside and cab

I'm a jeans and t-shirt type of guy. Carhart coat if I'm cold.

6)best clothing for outside the cab

Carhart jacket, Carhart bib pants. Doc Marten work boots, hunting socks.

7)BEST gloves made by man for snow removal

I constantly struggle with this. They make some great ski or snowmobile gloves that are nice and warm but they never seem to be made for work and I tear the palms or fingers up. Recently, I've been using the cheap wool lined leather work gloves they sell at my local hardware store. Not as warm/waterproof, but they keep me warm and last.

8)best food to keep in the cab

I don't. When I'm hungry, I stop and eat.

9) anything else you use to enjoy the snow!

Pandora on my phone, plugged into the trucks stereo.

10) slight plow or control equipment upgrades

You're on your own here. I've only ever used one set-up.

11)best way to keep your back from getting so painful you can't walk the next day

I must be lucky. Not much of my plowing involves leaving the cab of my truck, if I do have to do a side walk its with a blower. I've never had a sore back from plowing.

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I tried that, the wife wasn't amused! We compromised, she's now a blonde.

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Snow LOVING? I hate snow

6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

• Well, for me, it's to have it snow here, unlike the last 2 years with nearly nothing on the ground.. That would work.

Sore back ? that means getting out every so often, and stretching your torso around... Difficult to do when it's blowing snow, but it helps either way.

I use Wool socks, and lightweight summer boots. If I wear the insulated type of boots, my feet sweat like the dickens, even though I have the windows cracked and only the defrost on, otherwise it just gets too hot in there. Gold bond powder, or Vagisil vagina powder works well too. Powder those feets up before you put your socks on, and they tend to stay super fresh and fragrancy..... and if you ever get bored or lonely... you can take off your socks and sniff them....:laughing:

I always keep a couple of different pairs of sun glasses in the truck, as they get funky wearing them, or change in lighting, different colors for different haze. Yellow glasses (shooters) glasses for night vision helps me tremendously...

Windex for cleaning the inside of the glass, along with paper towels and hand cleanser wipes.. for the occasional grease smudges from touching the plow..

You didn't describe HER or what her "qualifications" for riding along were.....:cool:

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I thought no snow would make it enjoyable for ya.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

there is a reason why he name his truck vegas

9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Alcohol.........lots of it.

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

lots of account hacking going on recently....I think Madson got ahold of yours:laughing::waving:

11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Just thought I'd beat him to it.............assuming he was allowed back on. :laughing::laughing:

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

......:laughing: ....:drinkup:.....:whistling:

13. MowingisMaddnes

MowingisMaddnes Member

The Plow Life!

Thought I would bring this back to life with more and more people working in the snow!

14. jakewith shovel

jakewith shovel Junior Member

bring your dog

Bring your dog, jake plowed with me since he was a pup he never complained,never over slept and kept me warm in the cab. Only drawback he left the shoveling to me. Dam, I miss that dog.

15. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

My husky went w/ me for 12 years until his hips got bad. It hurts not to take him anymore, but hurts even more to watch him not quite make the high leap and fall backwards out of the truck. I miss my copilot.

So yea, a good dog who can handle the adventure...a lot of dogs can't. I got lucky. Makes the night go so much faster.

Aside from that...gotta have good smokes and even better coffee. I have a pot that I take w/ me, which also works as a thermos. I've thought about getting one of these though, for those painful marathon runs:

handpresso-auto-espresso-coffee-maker-3.jpg

16. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Another deleted post. Lol

17. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I always hate snow until the green backs roll in then I love snow

18. mud

mud Senior Member

Its much more enjoyable for me when I go to the bank to cash the checks.

19. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

My worst issue with a 12 hour shift of plowing is the sinus headache from the dry air....but other than that, Rain-X on the windshield, a double application of it. Need a warm garage, but applied every week it's the best.

20. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

thats awesome, I need a handheld, portable expresso maker Thumbs Up