1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help- How to get Plow installed on "Cabover" style trucks!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lp0043, Oct 17, 2010.

1. lp0043

lp0043 Junior Member

Hi. I have noticed alot of "cabover" style trucks in the US (i.e Isuzu, GMC W4500 etc) with a plow on them. I have heard thru various forums that these are the "ultimate" plow trucks b/c of their high visibility and great turning radius.
    So, I have been wanting to buy one for at least the last year, but cannot find a supplier that will install a plow on that style truck UNLESS its a Mitsubishi FG (4WD) model. All those trucks are virtually the same body style so I can't see what the big difference is??

If any of you guys out there that have a plow on one of those style trucks are reading this, if you could pls reply with what brand of plow you put on and HOW did you have it done? was it a custom application or a "universal" mount kit?

How do you find plowing with these trucks with only 2WD??? Any problems? I have seen a couple vids on Youtube showing those trucks, but I have wondered if the clearance is too low???

What brand can I get one of these local installers o put on my damn truck!!! I am looking to buy either a 2005 or 2007 W4500 2WD. Thx!

2. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

They are awesome plow trucks. We have 2 W3500 with blizzard 810's. The mount for the trucks has to be fabricated to fit. You need to find a good fabricater in your area. We also run 2.5 yd sanders in our cab overs so traction is not an issue. You just have to be smart about plowing with one. I've always wanted a W4500. Good luck with the truck.

3. lp0043

lp0043 Junior Member

hi, thx for your reply. What did you do re the lights, did you just tie into the wiring harness or is there a kit?

4. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

I'm not exactly sure. I didn't do the install. I think they took the factory light harness and added the plugs for the headlights. this is the only part that sucks. We have to redo the pig tails on the lights every couple of yrs do to corrosion. Hopefully this helps you out.

5. lp0043

lp0043 Junior Member

re lights

thx again for ur reply. I have recently just found out from a local installer that MEYER has a kit for those trucks BUT only will fit them with the light durty 7.5 ft plow, but will supply the wiring harness. SO, this local sompany said will will get the 8.5ft comm. model and just modify the mounts, but they have to make sure that the wiring will also be heavy dujty enough. Anyway, this is a first. anybody else out there that has any suggestions, still apprecialted! Ciao LP0043

6. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic Member

We may have some custom frame take offs from some of the trucks we are upgrading. They are on gmc w4500, w5500 and isuzu NQRs..

These trucks are awesome for plowing..Just need enough weight on the rear end to hold the rear end and out perform conventional cabs. We typically put 2-4000 pounds on the back depending on the amount of snow they are forcasting. We have ran these trucks in all the major storms.