1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP...how much do you charge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by richardlewis, Sep 17, 2004.

1. richardlewis

richardlewis Member

Can someone please tell me how much they charge per hour per truck and what happens if there is alot of snow do you put in the contract that you will charge a little extra. How much do you charge per inch and what happens if your company wants per inch charge their lot is 100x100 and another company is 400x400 you wouldn't use the same price what are some guidelines. Please any help is wonderful.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Richard, I take it from your first post:
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=17450
    that you're not new to plowing, just to the business end. With that, I'd suggest you change your pricing stategy from "per inch" to "per plow". Per inch implies you're charging "x" number of dollars for every inch that falls during the season. Per Plow implies you are charging "x" number of dollars each time you come out. The amount may vary, but is based on, first accumulation of the "trigger", then of the depth of snow pushed each time. Say you have a 3" trigger for a particular lot and push 4" - you might charge $100. Next time you push 8" - that may be worth $150. And so on. A common structuring might be (with a 3" trigger):

3" to 6" $xxx
    over 3" to 9" $xxx times 1.5
    over 9" to 12" $xxx times 2
    over 12" $xxx times 2, plus $yyy over 12"

But if, say, they want it plowed so there is never more than 4", then you might want to charge the same each time you plow. A lot depends on what the customer wants.

Now, a 100'x100' lot is just under 1/4 acre. An experienced plow guy might be able to do that in 15-20 minutes, adjusted for obstacles, islands etc). So, you might decide you want to make $125/hr (pretty common figure on PS). So, you would charge about $30 plus any travel you want to figure in plus salting etc. A 400'x400' lot is about 3 3/4 acres. Same as above, except this is likely to take around 4 hours. Using the same 125/hr, you'd charge around $500.

Not that I have experience with three acre lots, so somebody else might have a better way for you to figure it.

3. richardlewis

richardlewis Member

Thanks for your input. I am not new to plowing but this is the 1st year I'm trying it on my own for profit. I used to just do mine and a couple good neighbors driveways then decided I could get paid to do this. Is the per plow billing the easiest way to go. I also want to get a contract for customers to sign. Can you tell me some of the things I should put in it. I do plan on joining Sima but want to make sure this is going to work for me before I spend the money. I'm just doing alot of research right now. Any other input you can give would really help. Thank You.

Richard

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Richard.
    Send me your email address,I will send you a sample of the contract that I use. Its about 5 pages long for comm work. I charge 100.00 hour just to plow. But pricing is very local,you might be able to get more maybe less than I do here in Michigan.

Regards Mike

5. mikekinney

mikekinney Member

prices

Hi EVERYBODY.
    I NEED SOME HELP WITH CONTRACT. UPON EVERY INCH OF SNOW THE MANAGER WANTS TO BE PLOWED AND THEN SALT AFTER PLOWING. 5- 80 POUNDS OF SALT IS WHAT THE CONTRACTOR BEFORE WAS USING.iF ANY ONE HAS A MODEL CONTRACT THAT I COULD USE FOR GUIDENCE WITH PRICES FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS I WOULD BE GRACIOUS.THE PLOWING WILL TAKE ABOUT AN HOUR TO COMPLETE.CLEARING OF ABOUT 20 FEET OF SIDEWALK AND TREATED WITH CALCILUM. THANKS EVERYBODY, mY E-MAIL ADRESS IS MJ1KINNEY@AOL.COM

6. TBrubaker

TBrubaker Junior Member

hi Mike,
    My name is Ty, I am new to plow site but I am looking to get into plowing and am working for a sub contractor now. I was wondering if you could send me the sample contract as well?

Email-- tybrubaker@gmail.com

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

This is from 12 yrs ago

8. TBrubaker

TBrubaker Junior Member

9. TBrubaker

TBrubaker Junior Member

10. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Mabey they used SNAIL MAIL :jester:

11. TBrubaker

TBrubaker Junior Member

Hahaha maybe. Il stick to the rookie forums. Thanks for the heads up

12. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Good catch! The pricing would have to be adjusted down lower for 2016.