1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help,how much can I tow ?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by xtreem3d, Mar 31, 2013.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Happy Easter guys,
    I need some help understanding how much weight I wiil be able to tow legally. Here's what I might possibly have (deciding on buying the deck over)

Truck weighs...............16,000
    GVWR of truck is...........28,000 so I can haul 12,000 lbs

Trailer weighs................5000
    Trailer rated.................20,000 so I can put 16,000 on trailer and not be over it's rating ?

If all the above is true and I tow with an EMPTY truck, then how much weight can I put on the trailer and haul legally? What might detremine me buying the trailer is if I can haul 2 skidsteers at once, which would be nice,
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Something seems wrong with your truck numbers. What kind of truck is it?

3. xtreem3d

1982 S Series IH 1900..an old Il DOT truck.What do you think is wrong? Only reason I ask is because the orginal door tag is gone after 30 years and a door replacement.

BTW just got done watching your grandson plow snow in the Arctic forum :)

4. 1olddogtwo

Discard my first comment, I was having a another thought be heated discussion from yesterday

Anyways, if your GVWR 28,000 just subtract all the weighs of the equipment. Sounds like the truck wouldn't be heavy enough for two skids. I'm assuming 7000 each so that's 14,000 plus 5,000 for the trailer so that's 21,000 plus 16,000 for the truck.

He's was pretty good then and has gotten better.

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Some 10 ton trailers are rated(GVWR) at exactly 20K lbs.while others like mine are rated to actually carry 20 K lbs.Remember also that you will be dealing with tongue weight transferring 10-15% onto the horse as long as said trailer is loaded correctly.

6. xtreem3d

Can you all double check this math for me

28,000 gvwr truck -16,000 truck weight = 12,000 - 5000 trailer weight= 7,000 - 8000 big skid steer = -1000 lbs...so i couldn't tow the trailer with even one big skidsteer on it because I would be overweight by 1000 lbs ?

7. tuney443

NO,you are confusing yourself with different ratings from your horse and trailer.You will be fine with 1 rig,probably 2 on that 10 ton trailer.The CGVWR(combined gross vehicle weight rating) of your horse is probably around 50K lbs.

8. xtreem3d

O.K. that's what I originally thought but... what happens if someone crazy hooked a 30,000 lb rated trailer to a truck that obviously couldn't handle say a combined 60,000lb load and towed it. It seems at some point it's illegal to tow a huge trailer that is too big for the truck even though you might be below the combined ratings..hope I expalined the question clearly?
    Steve

9. tuney443

Usually DOT doesn't check CGVWR.Rest assured though if an accident occurs they will.

10. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

I am assuming class a cdl . U should be good for 15000 on the trailer if the trailer weighs 5000

11. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

as said, you need a class A for any of these numbers. Also, whatever weight you load on the trailer needs to be loaded properly as not to overload your rear axle weight

12. tuney443

Funny,but I don't remember the OP asking about license type.:rolleyes:

13. xtreem3d

Yeah i get the Class A and load trailer correctly but at some point I am thinking you could tow a trailer way too big for the truck you have

14. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Like a dogde........ at 30,000lbs

Dogde.png

15. xtreem3d

Well I knew Dodge could handle it :nod:
    That looks scary....was it?

16. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I pulled that picture from an article about dodges new towing capacity, I'm a chevy guy.

17. 1olddogtwo

Here's is a total of 31K I hauled back to Chicago after Super Storm Sandy last fall.

Anyways, I was way off with my comments this past Sunday, it was a long night and a earlier morning.

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The new pickups will pull a surprising amount over what the manufacturer says they will. Stopping is the issue, but even then they still do pretty good.

[​IMG]

That's the heaviest I've done so far. I've had plenty of others that gross in the mid to high 30's.

34k (two of about a dozen or more loads)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only a slight thread derail.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  19. tuney443

Could be real scary if just one trailer brake wire goes south if you were to go down a long steep hill.Service brakes on the horse would fade,eventually burn up with those 2 big tractors on that huge heavy trailer.There's still a very good reason they make class 8 trucks--it takes weight to move weight AND to stop it.

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It would be fine around here, there's no hills :D