1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP!!! - How long does it take to plow various snow dephts (based on sq. ft.)???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by me_colorado, Oct 19, 2004.

1. me_colorado

me_colorado Junior Member

I currently own and operate a landscape maintenance company that just keeps on getting bigger and bigger! However in order to bid on some of the large commericial accounts I wish to take over in the spring, I must also perform all of the snow removal services for the sites during the winter. Seeing that I am new to plowing and that many of the bid deadlines are fast approaching, I need some help! FAST!! My question to all of you experts out there is how long does it take to plow a given area (sq. ft.) based on how deep the snowfall is?? Or in other words if it snows "x" inches and I have "y" sq. ft. to plow, how long will it take in hours to complete the job? I'm going to be charging by the hour, but many of the bids want me to provide an estimated cost is to how much a typical 3" snowfall will cost to have plowed. I am bidding on schools, commerical sites and residental sites so any and all help/input would be greatly appreciated for I need to get many of my bids out in the next day or so. Thanks for your help!

Emil Motycka
    Motycka Enterprises
  2. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

You have to let us know what equipment you will be using thats a very important piece of the puzzle and I recommend that you base it on inches not hourly!
  3. me_colorado

me_colorado Junior Member

Just to let all of you know, here the equipment I will be using:

For sidewalks:
    - (4-5) Gravely Two Wheel Walk behind Tractors w/ plow,blower, or sweeper attachments
    - (2-3) Walker OT 26HP Lawn Mowers w/ Plows (if needed)
    -Shovel for tight areas

Parking Areas/Roads/Large Sidewalks:
    - (3-4) Chevy 2500/3500 Trucks with 7' to 9' Plows (most likely straight blades)
    - (1-2) Chevy S-10 (Rasied Model w/ 6c Engine) w/ V-plow
    - (1) Jeep C-7 w/ V-plow (if needed - would have to buy)

Do I need anything else or have to reconsider anything??? Thanks
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

My dad plows in Castle Rock, CO.
    P.S., I like the shovel listing. :D
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Do you need any salters?
  6. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Don't think you are going to find v plows for the s10s or CJ
  7. me_colorado