1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! How do i get a spreader AND snowblower on a 1-ton PU?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by harley05ultra, Sep 16, 2010.

1. harley05ultra

harley05ultra Junior Member

Hi guys, I just got a 1-ton pickup and here's my problem. I need a salt/sand spreader on it PLUS a snowblower. I've searched this site and racked my brain. I'm hoping someone has tried (and succeeded) with this. I need to spread sand/salt and I have to have a snowblower with me also. Trying to streamline a bit due to the economy. I'm thinking maybe a swing out tailgate spreader and a wood divider to hold maybe a yard of sand/salt. I realllly hope someone has done this. Snow season is nearly here!!! TIA

2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I do exactly that on my 2 trucks. I slide the 8ft Vboxes all the way to one side and bolt them in. It might look odd and not be conventional but I never had a problem and I had some huge loads on. It gives me enough room to slide a decent sized single stage blower next to the sander and also carry sidewalk salt bags on the empty side also.

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Replace the bed with a flatbed. If your bed is in good shape, you should be able to get between 700 and a grand for it. A steel flatbed should run you less than 2k.

I do the tailgate spreader on one of my shortbed trucks also, but it's a pita putting it on and off all night. I'm working on making a drop-swing bracket that will pivot the spreader down (lay it down basically) versus swing it to the side. That truck doesn't spread much salt though, maybe a 1/2 ton per event.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010