1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help, how can i short chain this fisher ext V!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by DesMoines2500, Dec 24, 2015.

1. DesMoines2500

DesMoines2500 Senior Member

Brand new extreme Vee quit lifting for me today. Currently stuck at a lot. All angles and direction work but it won't raise. The motor hums and lift ram lifts until it meets some resistance then quits.

Its brand new, 2 storms, still under warranty, is there a simple way i can get it raised to take it to the shop?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Fluid,
    Is it full.

And you can lift it with your jack, then shorten the chain,

Some even have a place for a pin.

Did you call your " dealer"?

3. DesMoines2500

I figured it out. Just jacked the plow up to get slack and moved the chain over a few links. Thats a lot of weight on the one u bolt though! With no weight on it the lift ram lifts fine but goes right back down with any pressure. I'm guessing a valve is bad, stuck open causing all the fluid to drain right back through. What a fugging pain in the ass over a holiday weekend!

[​IMG]

4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Check fluid like snow said

5. DesMoines2500

Dealer is closed for the day for Christmas Eve. Luckily the tempramental backup plow is coming through for us but man will i be up the creek if it goes down today (like it did last storm).

Fluid is full.

Fun fun fun.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Where is your owners manual?

image.jpg

7. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

That is the strangest chain lift system that I've ever seen. Looks like too many unnecessary parts to me. And what's with that spring at the bottom?

8. DesMoines2500

My old Fisher straight blade was the same as this.The spring just kinda keeps it tight when its slack.

9. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Last time I checked, that spring was supposed to be connected to a length of cable that terminates at the empty hole you see where the chain loops through on top via a clevis pin. Adjusted properly, it pulls the lift cylinder down in float mode. Looks like somebody forgot a few parts when assembling that particular plow.

10. flyguyirvin65

flyguyirvin65 Member

Why do you want it to pull all the way down? When lifting there is a delay till chain is tight. Never could figure Fisher out

11. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

That's correct. The only purpose of the spring and cable assembly is to retract the lift cylinder fully for removal of the plow, as this is an essential step if you're going to get the plow re-attached. The spring just saves you from collapsing it manually before you remove the plow. I know some guys that disconnect the spring, because in keeping the cylinder collapsed constantly, it delays the lifting of the plow for a split second... which, for some guys, translates into torn up grass.

12. Too Stroked

I forgot about the re-attaching the plow part. You are absolutely correct in that without that cylinder fully retracted, somebody's going to use a few bad words.

13. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

they did away with the cable now, now the spring is connected directly to the chain, my fathers new xv2 is the same way. I just did that to my xblade and put the cable on my mm1 spare plow

14. Too Stroked

Thanks! You learn something new every day!

15. DesMoines2500

Ended up being a bad/stuck open valve. The tech said he's never seen one break so early so he tried trouble shooting the wiring, controller and pump first only to then finally try the valve.

This was actually a huge blessing in disguise that it went down on a light snow. We had a big one on the following Monday and I didn't want the 2500 straight blade to have to do all the works so I went out and bought a 2001 f250 and a Boss VXT. The Fisher was done Monday and ready to go so we had 2 great trucks out there plowing and Making $$$.

IF the Fisher hadn't quit on a light day I wouldn't have bought the Boss and it would have quit on me during much bigger push so I'd have been in a position where we'd be trying to plow everything with a single Western Straight Blade.

BTW, after using the BOSS VXT and Fisher extreme V both, I much prefer the Fisher. I don't like the spring return on the Boss and it can't back drag due to no "smartlock" cylinders. The Fisher if just so much more maneuverable as well.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016