1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP,HELP,HELP,plow still freezing up!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by orionsoracle, Feb 3, 2009.

1. orionsoracle

orionsoracle Junior Member

Gentlemen,I have a Western Mark III Unimount that has been freezing up on me. I contacted my local rep,and being that the plow is 10 years old,said most likely the gasket between the motor and reservoir is leaking moisture thus causing my freezing problem. So I bought a new gasket last week,and a new filter. Took it all apart,disconnected my hoses down by the cylinders,cycled plow back and forth etc... Wiped out the inside of the reservoir,cleaned it all up and put brand new plow fluid from Fleet farm. Didnt have any snow until last night and she got pretty cold. Started plowing this A.M. and after 5 minutes she frooze up again. UGH!!! Any suggestions? When I warm the reservoir back up she runs fine. Someone PLEASE help!!! Thanks:cry:

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Use western oil. How does the lift ram look? If pitted and rusty then more than likely you need to replace the packings. This might help keep the water out if any is getting in.

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

water

also check the angle and lift cylinder's to see if the packing nuts are tight .their should be a fair amount of resistance moving the ram's in or out with the cylinder's disconnected .may need all the packing's replaced ,if the ram's are not pitted as hamelfire mentioned .any entry point for moisture is a killer .if the packing's are not good enough they will take water in with every in stroke .if the water is flushed out good and good oil put in ,and no entry points .should be good to go .be suspicious of any leak !:salute:

4. orionsoracle

orionsoracle Junior Member

Thanks

Great ideas guys. My cylinders are not pitted. Alos,havent got any noticeable leaks,and all my disconnects are brand new. I will check my packing nuts next. Funny thing is, I havent plowed any snow with it since I changed everything out last weekend. Plus we havent had such a great fluctuation od temp,so how can this moisture be getting in. I could see if I had snow all over the pump etc,and melting along,,but this is all brand new oil. Very very frustrating. Thanks to anyone who has ideas!!!!!!!!

5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Condensation maby? Just a thought. Does it work at all? It might not be frozen but have an air bubble in it.

6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

what color is the oil? when its froze up does it have a much higher pitch whine from the pump, as compared to when its thawed? next time it freezes, pull an angle hose and see if oil will spray out. did you remove and clean the filter when you changed the oil?

7. xjeep25

xjeep25 Junior Member
    from ohio

I have been searching the forums for the same issue with my unimount, seen a few posts about putting dry-gas into the pump. Does this work or is it a really bad idea. Its getting to be a real pain changing out my fluid once a month because it freezes up. BTW I do use the low temp plow oil, not ATF

8. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you can add drygas or alcohol. your plow is pulling in moisture from somewhere. need to figure out where the water is coming from.

9. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

My plow was locking up last week, couldnt figure it out. Pulled the valve block off and found a broken spring inside, she works great again.