1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Headlight Problems

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by lawnprolawns, Sep 13, 2009.

1. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

I should really wait til Monday and call Boss, but I just stayed up til 5am installing a plow, and want to know whats wrong! Truck is a 2008 Chevy 1500.

Everything works great except the headlights.. well maybe they work too well. Both the truck and plow lights stay on when the switch is switched to "Plow Lights".. truck lights never go off.

It seems that the RH Hi-beam is powering both Hi-beams on the plow also.. maybe the same with the low beams. I was unplugging the headlight adaptors and checking what happened.. the LH headlight adaptors will turn off both the hi/low on the LH or RH when unplugged. If I remember correctly the RH headlight adaptors will then turn off the hi/low of the plow when unplugged.

Any ideas? Can the adaptors be backwards? I dont want to short something out if I switch it.

Thanks for the help.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Either the vehicle option connector in the plow harness is connected backward (needs to be in the "standard" position) or one of the relays on the headlight adapters is stuck in the energized position. Have seen a couple do that on the '07-newer headlight adapters.

3. lawnprolawns

You're talking about the relays right up by both headlights, as opposed to the ones in the group? This harness came off an 08, and looks different than others with regular adaptors. (I'm sure you know..) The one I took off my 03 had four regualr adaptors, this has adaptors that are actaully hard-wired into the harness, so there's no splicing of the turn/park lights. I think those relays by the adaptors are for the turn signals? Maybe not.

What about the fact that all the plow light power is being taken off one side of the truck? Doesn't seem right, but maybe that's how it works. I did check the vehicle option connector and that is right.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So the harness and light adapters are used...and did work correctly on the last truck?

5. lawnprolawns

Not sure.. I traded harnesses with someone. It was all together when I got it, I assume it did, but maybe not. I'm most confused on why the plow lights get all their power from the RH vehicle side. Hopefully some probing and trial/error will help this problem.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Mike keep an eye on your email for an install sheet from me. Pretty sure you have it connected incorrectly. Tough to explain, easier to show.

7. lawnprolawns

much appreciated. Thank you so much for your help!

8. Mr. C

Mr. C Junior Member

Same problem here

I have a 2009 Chevy 2500HD with an 09 BOSS 8' SD trip with the same issue. With the plow disconnected, the "plow / truck" switch doesn't do anything. With the plow attached, the switch makes the plow lights go on / off, but the truck lights stay on no matter what.

On the last Boss I had, the switch would toggle between the plow and the truck. Based on the comments here this should work the same way. I could take it back to the dealer, but I would rather fix it myself if I can.

B&B, Could you send me the install sheet as well?

Thank you, -mc

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wouldn't it be nice if all installers would check their work after completion of a job? :rolleyes: It is easy to connect them incorrectly if you're not paying full attention but I've also gotten a few sets of '07-current Boss adapters that were manufactured incorrectly as well. So if you find everything is as it should be with the install then you likely have a defective harness.

Adapter sheet

10. Mr. C

Mr. C Junior Member

Thanks B&B !

Nothing looks immediately out of place. Looks like I have some investigating to do.

I started "cleaning up" the install last weekend, as the installer had left the two power feed wires for the headlight adapter kit sort of loose and visible behind the grill. That's when I discovered the "extra" relays tucked behind the headlights. Having gone through the bad relay shuffle routine at -20 in years past, I spent the better part of the day relocating them to be with the other 4 relays under the hood The headlight switch issue was there at that time but it didn't occur to me what was going on until after I buttoned everything back up. My hesitation in going back to the dealer is their location and hours are not convienient and now I have spliced extensions into the harness.... I'll post whatever it turns out to be here.

While I had it all apart, I did this http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=830381#post830381

-mc

11. Mr. C

Mr. C Junior Member

Issue resolved

These two plugs on the driver side needed to be swapped. Everything is working correctly now. Thanks for your help.

[​IMG]

-mc

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Like I said.

Good to hear you're up and running. :drinkup: