1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP have jobs to quote and no idea how to do it

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by davidkaduk, Nov 14, 2011.

1. davidkaduk

davidkaduk Junior Member

Hello there
    Helping my husband out and trying to get his plowing business to take off this year for some extra money.

we have the truck and have the plow....and started advertising thinking it would take a while to get people to call

well they started to call..and I have no idea what to charge

have residential 2 car garage to quote and a 55 sq foot parking lot with three walk ways to shovel so far

I need to get quotes to them

Can I ask? How do you figure out prices? Is it per sq foot? If it is how much per square foot?

Do most places salt?

Do most places shovel?

A push means every time you go out right and do the lot?

is there a certain amount of inches before you go out?

How do you bid to get other contracts for lets say the village?

If you have to go back to that lot again due to excessive snow? do they pay the same amount all over again?

We live in Illinois we get allot of snow.

Do they normal pay you once a month or every time you plow?

Sorry so many questions but I really want to do this right..

Thanks for the help.

Ellen:salute:

2. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I didn't see you say anything about insurance, BE SURE, BE SURE, BE SURE to have the correct insurance and licenses to plow in your area.
    You will find lots of good info here, the SEARCH button in the upper right corner of your screen will be your best friend.
    GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well first question to you is ,when did you 2 decide to start a snowplowing business?

4. second income

second income Member

1Ellen, I hope you have thick skin. You have asked for a lot of information that most are not willing to share. People will tell you to know your costs and go from there. You need to know them but that should only be the guide that keeps you from losing. You need to learn what the market is in your area and this can only be learned from researching what other like businesses charge. Don't work for costs plus 25 percent because I assure you that is not that is not the market rate in your area. Ask as many friends and families you know in the area what they pay and go from there. Be insured and licensed and SELL salting

5. 3diamonds

3diamonds Junior Member

6. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Why not work for a company as a sub and learn the ropes?

Your basically asking your competition to help you compete against them.

7. ManInTheMiddle

ManInTheMiddle Junior Member
    from ontario

8. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

This is a good idea too. That is how I started out. Plus if for what ever reason you can't go out, you don't have to worry about it. Chances are if you are subbing for someone, they will be able to cover it if something happens to you