1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help guys!!!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by roccodablue, Oct 18, 2009.

1. roccodablue

roccodablue Junior Member

Well i have a 01 F250 with a 5.4 and a 7 1/2" meyers plow. I'm selling that and decided that i want to upgrade to a diesel (i know, very exciting). I really wanted a ford (cause i've always driven them and did like them minus their horrible turning radius), but i recently decided that a ford wasnt for me. Then i wanted a 08 chevy duramax diesel, but a couple minutes later i realized that, that wasnt for me also (you see a pattern lol), then i finally decided that i wanted to join the dodge club. My cousin has a 03 Dodge 2500 with a diesel and it has big balls except i really dislike the solid axles (the ride is really stiff and bumpy). I can live with the stiff ride so no biggie. Anyways, ive been looking at a 2006 dodge 2500 with a 5.9l diesel quab cab for plowing. It has 107k miles and is in good shape. Now here are some dumb questions because i'm not familiar with dodge diesels. Whats the life expectancy on these motors? What would be a good price for this truck? If you guys have any other comments, please share them with me. I need to buy a truck asap and dont want to make a mistake

Dan

2. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

The 5.9 cummins engine will usually outlast the truck!!! Have seen many with 500km`s and still run like new. As with every truck they still have a few issues here and there. Mostly fuel related due to faulty lift pumps and some trans issues.

As for the solid front axles yes they are not as good with respect to smooth ride but as for toughness they are top notch. :nod:Other than universals nothing bad to say about the drive line. In fact most old time plowers seem to prefer the older solid set up over independent.:D

Out of the box the 06 was the quickest and has the better trans. The only complaint with mine are the seats. You are always trying to keep them clean from water spots and dirt!! As for making a road worthy doser CUMMINS is the best choise!!!!wesport

For price$ 18-25 k depending on options and milage.

3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i wouldn't worry about the motor at all, its how the rest of the truck was maintained like trans flushes fuel filter all that.. i would recommend changing the atf first thing if you get it.. like stated above the rest of the truck is pretty solid you might run into a u joint issue here and there thats about it.

4. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Solid axle is absolutely the way to go. Hands down. And Cummins is a legend in diesel reliabilty and performance, huge parts availability, OEM and Aftermarket, and a ton of guys who know the engines in and out. Really no better decision as far as diesels,,,except maybe the old 7.3's,,,but until Ford sorts itself out diesel wise, cummins is a great choice.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  5. roccodablue

roccodablue Junior Member

could i put a 9'2" v plow on this truck??

6. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

you could put a 9.2 v but its gonna be some stress on the front end, especially with the cummins up front . mine handles a 800 lb plow pretty well but i do run about 900 lbs in the bed of the truck. as for price on the truck mabe 19k -20k thats if was mint