1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help guys! Strobes/LEDs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ultimate plow, Dec 11, 2004.

1. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Hey guys.
    I will be purchasing a Back Rack for my 99 dodge ram 2500 short bed soon. I already have a Whelen mini edge that will be mounted on the back rack. My question is, Should I get a whelen hide away strobe package with 2 in the front head lights and 2 in the rear head lights, Or should I go with LEDs and mount them on the back rack? Any Ideas for my secondary warning guys? any thoughs or ideas will be appreciated!
    Thanks guys!

2. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Strobes

Ultimate--On Plowing Highways I personally don*t think? You can Ever have Too Many Warning Lights especially when Its Snowing Hard! as Visibility is Cut down to near ZERO But in Plowing yards & driveways! too many Lights cause Confussion!--as Some drivers Drive like its Still SUMMER? & w/ Windows steamed Up & Blowing Snow-- Be EXTRA CAREFUL!--the Thing I notice! Is Young People Out Playing In SNOW Storms--that should be Home in BED--& Most End UP Stuck Some-here?--& Flag You down to Get Pulled OUT! so They can GO Get Stuck Again? if? their OFF the highway--I give E*M a Ride HOME! & Leave their Vehice where it IS! so I know! their SAFE--I prefer Strobes that Blink Twice between Flashes--I dono? if I can Mention a Perticual Brand that I like! I saw On a Ramp Truck & took a Good Look at E*M Top Quality! Adjustable flashes & Inexpensive!--Made in CANADA--NO power supply Needed! Contact ME for Brand Name! as I don*t Want to get into Trouble! --Ole JIM--

3. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I would go with LED's in the grill and mount some on your rear bumper. That will get the attention you want and will be less expensive in the long run

4. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Led's imo are much brighter and look great.Only downfall is if you catch them at the right angle you would almost think they are off. But you stated you already had a Whelen mini edge so that should cover being seen from the sides? You have to be carefull with hide away strobe packages as your local laws and police but not be happy with hide aways in the front. I would take the Led's!

5. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

Would the corner strobes do any good in the front, with the plow? I would think that when it's raised, the blade would block the flashes from the front. Perhaps I'm wrong.

For the Back Rack....depending on how it's shaped, you could put some small LED or strobe boxes that face out, to the left and to the right, to cover the sides where the Whelen won't hit. I mean, on like the outside of teh rack. Something like this......

Remote Strobe

6. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

I have a whelen mini edge 4 strobe bar on both of my pickups. I was thinking about installing hide-a-ways in the rear lamps, I was going to install amber tube in the back up lamps, but I decided where the strobes throw out so much light it might wash out my extra back up lamps that I have mounted to the trailer hitch. I would stick with just a the whelen mini edge.