1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! gotta tough decision to make

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by maximus44, Dec 2, 2009.

1. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Hi all, I have a 9 acre property that I am doing the plowing at with My skid and 12 ft pusher
    I have a choice of subbing 1 other guy with a skid and 12ft pusher for 2k/mo.
    Or 2 other skids for $2500/mo. What you guys think I should do??

2. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Forgot, the 2 skids deal is 5 months,and the 1 skid deal is for 4 months.
    So the 2 skids(plus my own) is a total of $12,500
    and the single skid(and mine of course) is $8000.
    Thats a $4,500 diff.

3. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

put them both in a hat and pick one out.

Wait why would you need anything for five months? there is only four left to the season.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Try to get more work or just got with 1 other skid besides yours

5. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

anyone wanna hazard a guess at how long it will take 2 skids/12ft pusher to clear this 9 acre lot?

6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

would it be cheaper just to find a guy with a pick-up to help you out?

7. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

NO,cuz the snow has to go to the back of 1 of the properties.

8. redman6565

well 9 acres is quite a lot for just skids, have you looked at loader rates? i know you're in a different country but a 2 yrd loader around here rents for 2,800 per month, stick a 14 ft pusher on it and you've got yourself a true plowing machine versus those skids.

if that isn't an option, then i'd consider the guy that can supply 2 skidsteers vs. the 1.

9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i don't know what skids you are running, i hope your 12ft pushes well be ok with it, as far as how long it well take, plan something around 1-1.5acre/hour/skid, i think you could do a little better, but 1/1.5acre/hour is a safe guess

10. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

I have a New Holland L190(90hp),and the other machines are CASE 465,XT85.
    I also have an old loader on site that i will use to pile snow or push whatever the skids are bringing to the main roadway. The loader has a 2.75 yard bucket,and is 8 feet wide
    The 2(or 3) machines will work exclusively on this site 24/7 when it snows.

11. redman6565

sounds like a good plan

12. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

thanks! Btw,what kinda truck is that pusher of yours on?

13. redman6565

its a sicard truck, originally designed for a blower on the front end but we constructed a bucket so that we could use a pusher

14. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

ok,so whats in the back?

15. redman6565

it's a dual motor truck, one motor drives the truck transmission, which is an automatic and does over 60 mph, and the other motor powers the hydraulics that it takes to operate the vehicle...i team that up with our big 4x4 farm tractor and they tackle my biggest account, a 43 acre parking lot in Batavia

16. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, that's a big lot to plow. I would be there for half a week at least lol

17. redman6565

we have this truck, our 4x4 tractor, 1 5 yrd loader, 1 4 yrd loader, a skid witha plow and a 6-wheeler w/ plow & salter and we can usually plow the whole lot and have sidewalks done within 4.5 hrs on a normal snow fall of 4"-6"

18. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

If you have a loader why not just hire someone to run the loader and put a 12-14 ft plow on it? wouldn't that push alot more than the skidsteer and save you money?