1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help good client

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snowaway, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

So I have this Client who is like the best you cou imagine. He must right the the check while he's at the mailbox. I charge him pretty good 40 dollers per push, and 25 for gravel. We have had over sixty inches of snow since Jan 1. I sent out invoices on the 15 already paid (huge bill). He has managed to run laps around most of my clients. Also he is like ninety years old.

So I say to my ol' lady. Hey maby I should cut this guy a break for paying so quick. Her responce was that I provide a service and people should pay for it. If I start giveing people deals I will never make any money. She does have a point.

I thought maby I would bring it here. What should I do ?
  2. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Sometimes I will do something extra for really good customers but I still charge for the service. Also be sure to send out Thank You card. Believe it or not, that means a lot to some.

3. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

how long have u done his place?
  4. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Just this year.
  5. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

I send holiday cards and thank you cards people still go eles where to save 25 or 50 bucks do you believe that:gunsfiring: I am a good guy i was raised that way but when i startd working for myself i had to get tough real quick people will walk all over you. you have to be darn near heartless to come out doing ok.
  6. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

like they said, thank you card always shows appreciation and should be sent to all your customers but maybe a little gift or something extra for him to show him his quick payment and ease to deal with hasnt gone unnoticed.
  7. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

i'd give him a free push and a thank you card!
  8. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

Do what ever you think is right. I pay all of my bills that way and it means a lot when others pay me that way. I have an animal clinic this year signed up late close to the end of November, had no problem paying for all of November on the spot. I mailed him December's invoice on January 2 i had a check on the 5. You can not replace those customers.
  9. Upper5percent

Upper5percent Member
    from USofA

10. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like by even posting the question you feel you should help him in some way..i don't do drives so i don't know how much of a hassle they are but i might give him a price break or give him a couple or so free pushes.call it a senior discount ;)
  11. ERCKWD

ERCKWD Member

If he is indeed 90 he is from the old school, meaning you pay your bills and you pay them on time everytime. I agree with your wife and the guys here, your charge for a certain service and its great that he pays you but he owes for the work that you have done. I also agree that a thank you card (again him being old school) will go a long way, I know he will appreciate it. But just remeber you are running a business and by giving him a free push you, by law, are voiding your contract, much like he would be if he didn't pay and I understand your position and think that its great to help him. Just my opinion.
  12. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

Sometimes a small fruit basket from the high school bands are great too!
  13. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

Probably not god for his age group, for a customer that age I useually give them a free sand or two. Mark it on the invoice as NO CHARGE. I have a pretty good size party every summer. I ask for donations to cover the band etc., I make sure to invite my good plow customers ones that pay promptly etc. but for them I refuse any money, tell them its customer appreciation party. Some of these people I don't see to chat with other than in the winter time when I plow. So a good feed and a live band let them know I appreciate their business.
  14. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

That's really nice man.

15. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah with all that snow up there sounds good to me. be a little generous but rule of thumb, if your giving them a service or something for free, dont make it more than a few % of what you make on the account.
    I give our xmas cookies and a card to a lot of our clients, they usually are thrilled. If your talking accounts that are $20k a month, who knows, 5% off one bill, find some fancier gift you think they might be able to use or like.
  16. Shop's Lawn

Shop's Lawn Senior Member

Always seems like the 70-90 yr olds pay right away! When my dad plowed he had a lady for 4 yrs and finally passed at 87. he always billed her every time ,sent her thank you and holiday cards. well here to find out she had gave him 5 grand when she passed. Its once in a live time I'm guessing but you take care of your customers and be polite asap and straight forward you just never know what they will do for you.
  17. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

being nice and being in business in todays world is getting pretty hard and in some cases near impossible. The older members of my family get upset with the way I run my business sometimes....Key words MY BUSINESS. but anyway yeah ppl will always look to save a dollar and who you are really doesnt mean much anymore around here. Use to be if you were a good guy and honest and did good work you'd never be without it but around here its turning to more of a well this other guy can do it $5 less and even though over the course of XX years I've never had a problem with you I want to try this guy, blah blah blah blah. But to answer your question I MIGHT, MIGHT think about throwing him a free plow or something if he is really that good but normally what I do on the resi's that are really good to me is just give them an extra. Shovel a short distance to there door once in a while if I have time or if they are outside put a little salt down (maybe 10-15lbs so it costs me like a buck to do it) and tell them that the salt today is on me for being such pleasure to work for. Makes em smile and even though they probably forget about it, they may at least remember that I've helped them out in the past and keep that in mind when someone tries to offer them their driveway for a couple bucks less than I do it for.
  18. ooxteme

ooxteme Junior Member

I have a couple of the 70 to 90 age bracket and thats jus how they are on time all the time. Ive givin each one a free push this season.
  19. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I love that Kubota RTV? very nice looking set up.
  20. ooxteme

ooxteme Junior Member

me too its for perfect drives. ive allways noticed when people were home taht they watch you as if you were going to hit something and with this they dont come out till im done