1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! GMC2500HD tranny/rear end prob!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PROCUTSLAWNCARE, Mar 17, 2004.

1. PROCUTSLAWNCARE

PROCUTSLAWNCARE Senior Member

OK Boys, I got a 04 2500hd GMC and last night it started to make some weird noises on me! Going forward its fine, when you shift into reverse and go about 20 feet it makes a loud klunk noise and keeps on going like nothing happened??? It sounds like its coing from the rear end, pumkin area? I thought it was the U joints, but the truck has 8700 hundred miles on it, its new! i took it to the deal this moring and he said the yoke was not sliding into the tail correctly, so he greased it up and said it was fine. i went down the road and backed up and klunk??? I took it back and there it sits! Been there all day and I called them tonight and they said, well we cant get it to make the same noise so we dont know??? does anybody have a clue????? Im lost and worried cause I dont wanna leave it there for days on end. The good part is I arrgued with the dealer and they gave me a 04 GMC plow truck for a rental!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!, thanks..................:dizzy:

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

its a lemon tell em you want a brand new one

3. PROCUTSLAWNCARE

Has anyone heard of that happing to the 2500's???? gas motor by the way!

4. CHEVYPLOWDUDE

CHEVYPLOWDUDE Junior Member

its more thin likely the diff gears some times there over tight it could be something louse in the rear anre something caught by the wheels

5. JMR

JMR Senior Member

The problem with the slip yoke not sliding properly on the tailshaft occurred on 99-02 trucks. GM corrected the problem by going to a nickel plated slip yoke. Make sure you have the service manager document your complaint. Take the service advisor for a drive and duplicate the problem for him. The noise is definitely not normal.

6. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

I had the same problem, and it was the slip yoke. They lubed it up and it when away. I do believe there is a TSB on the subject and I believe that the nickel yoke was a remedy. For me the klunk went away and it has been fine ever since.

7. PROCUTSLAWNCARE

Just got my truck back they did do the yoke trick and it still did it. They tried and tried but found nothing, the only thing we can think of was there was snow and ice packed around one of the brake calipers and was hold it back from releasing and then it would return causeing the klunk or ding noise?? Who knows Ill keep driving it and if it snows we will see if it returns, thanks for the help, I ll keep ya posted!!!

8. DERANGER

DERANGER Junior Member

Hey Mario, you still there?? Drive Ford

9. PROCUTSLAWNCARE

Hey Derek, I hear ya.... But I think it was just a caliper hanging up, Ill have to keep an ear on it and just go from here, At least I got a 04 plow truck for a rental which is big surprize..........

FORD Found On Roadside Dead!!!!!! :eek: