1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help getting out of city plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by terrastone, Sep 10, 2009.

1. terrastone

terrastone Junior Member

We have been plowing for the city for several years now and I would like to bid on commercial work now. Working for the DPW is safe but It doesn't pay well for our 1 ton's, loader and skid steer.
    I live in a apartment complex with 23 buildings about 1.5 miles of driveway, lots of parking spaces and about 1 miles of 3' wide walkways
    I watched them plow last year with a 1 ton truck w/ a 2 yard sander just opening the roadways during the storm and 3 guys hand shoveling the walkways the next day opening the parking spaces with a small track skid steer.
    I would like to bid on this place... we have the equipment and the manpower but not a lot o experience with pricing.

I was thinking

1"-3" - $860 for plowing/sanding and hand shoveling
    4"-7" - $1290
    8"-11" $1720

again, I don't have any experience writing contracts, billing or how many pushes and when to start to plow. the city would just call us and we punch in and out our cards and bill our hours accordingly by equipment.

usually people ask us to give a price but I don't know how exactly what to include in the price.

royal crest.jpg

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

How did you come up with your numbers?

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I wouldn't do that place for what you are bidding on it....way too low for the amount of $ I wanna make....

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Is it safe to assume that you are working for beer money?

5. terrastone

terrastone Junior Member

I figured a minimum of 4 hours of plowing at $95/hr
    and 3 guys shoveling 4 hours at $40 each/hr
    $860 x 1.5 and x 2

6. terrastone

terrastone Junior Member

they pay me at the city $55.50 /hr for a 1 ton truck

7. SPCanada

SPCanada Junior Member

plowing alone your 6-8 hours buddy, your doing it for less that bad beer:confused:

8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

IMO you are way off on your production assumtions. You'll lose your shovellers the second they get out of the truck. You have to make it as easy as possible for them-handing them a couple of shovels just wont cut it.

9. terrastone

terrastone Junior Member

what would be the right way to bid on this place?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  10. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I think you are looking at more like an 8 hr push just with your truck.

Sidewalks with blowers you are looking at 4 to 5 Hrs per man. Thats not shovels.

I just dropped off a bid for a very simular account in my area. I was over $1600.00 for a push, with follow ups charged by the Hr.

J.

11. terrastone

terrastone Junior Member

but how does it work? how do you write a contract per push? shouldn't it be per inch?

12. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Sounds about right. Add atleast another $6-800 on for sand/salting also. Your salt prices are probably about the same as mine.

I have an industrial park about 1/3 of the size as that complex and I get $800 for a 3'' storm to plow, shovel and sand/salt. And we do that 4 times during a day storm plus hourly cleanup later at night.

13. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

1-3'' - $
    3-6"
    6-9"
    9-12"
    12"+
    both plowing and shoveling

sand/salt - per app.
    cleanup - per hr
    snow removal - per hr

14. terrastone

terrastone Junior Member

could u send me a copy of your contract so I can have a better idea of how it works?

15. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Sure, no problem. I'll be working on contract proposals in a few days I can send one to you. I'm not in my office now.

16. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

I charge $150 per truck/hr
    $45 per man/hr for shoveling
    roughly $200 per yard of sand/salt

17. terrastone

terrastone Junior Member

right, but how do you put together a price for this place? and there's another complex across the street about the same size and they want bids every year. also I don't get the difference between per push and per inch. how do you approach each one?

18. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I can tell you for absolute certain that 3 or 4 guys won't be able to shovel that many sidewalks in a reasonable amount of time. Even that many guys with blowers would take several hours. I'd use a combination of blowers and perhaps an ATV or small skid steer like an S100 Bobcat.

19. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

Per push is basically a set price for every time you clear the lot, while per inch is a set rate for an event within a 24 hr period of time. I think i would do that by the push but then again ive never bid on something that big.

20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Bear in mind that's a lot of snow to "move" not just plow. Lots of in between cars and spaces. You'll need all v or scoop plows for the most part and or a push box. I also agree that that's a lot of walks for a few guys to handle. I'd honestly probably charge your prices without the salt. I'd honestly think you could make more $$ subbing with less headaches rather than taking that on. Don't get me wrong, I'd jump on it if you could, but there are a lot of factors I think you are overlooking.