1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help from the Plowsite gods.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Freezing Cold, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Freezing Cold

Freezing Cold Junior Member
    from Kansas

Okay, I'm a total newbie. Please have mercy on my ignorance! I am getting into snow removal this season. I've got 1 commercial account and some residential so far. In my area it will be easier at first to grow in residential; however as I gain experience there will be commercial opportunities.

My first question is on how to set up my equipment. I have the following

06 Chevy 2500 crew 4x4

DX45 case farmall with cab and heat/ac with a loader. This is hydro with a loader. I have hydraulic ports on the front for accessories and to the rear for accessories.

What should I do? Set up the tractor or the truck? I won’t have a tight route at first.

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Youre gonna find that truck will be difficult to maneuver in smaller residentials. But if you have a spread out route the tractor isnt the quickest thing to be driving from account to account. Save the money over new and buy a used blade for the Chevy and if next year you can tighten up your route youll have money saved to set up the tractor.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

8' to 8.6' plow on the truck. Brand is less important.

4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

How do some of you guys have accounts already but have never plowed before? How in the world did you come up with a number to tell them if you have no idea how to bid because you have never plowed?

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

As others have stated, put a used plow on the truck first. You always have the tractor to fall back on. Also curious how you scored the accounts with no equipment.

6. Freezing Cold

from Kansas

I run a lawn and landscape business during the growing season. I have had some of my customers beg me to get into snow removal. They said just say the word and it is yours. They must like the way I take care of their properties. Glad they have confidence that I can do it. As far as what to charge, I have asked around to find the local rates. Pick the brains of people who should know. Do a little guessing and fly by the seat of your pants!
    My formula is simple, make as much per job as I think the market and my conscience will handle.

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: LMAO

On a serious note, I have the same wheel base as you, This will be my 3rd season in this truck. go with a 8.5' blade or bigger if you can. I can't clear my rear tires on some turns. I get around pretty well, but I would love to have a shorter truck for plowing. Thats exactly what I am aiming for next season.

8. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Same here, my lawn accounts wanted me to plow for them due to poor service from previous companies. They said they like my service in the summer and want to be taken care of in the winter too. I've plowed my own stuff (my other businesses parking lots, my home, my in-laws home) for the last 10+ years but never pursued plowing commercially until now. They want to pay me to do it, so I'll gladly take their money while expanding my business.payup

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get a used plow for the truck.
    Tractor is way too slow to be driving longer distances.

10. Freezing Cold

from Kansas

Thank you for your replies. I will set my truck up and keep the tractor as a back up.
    Buying a used plow is good advice as far as watching expense, but I think I will buy a new one. I like to have reliable equipment.

The plow that has my attention is the Boss power VXT. Most comments on plowsite seem to be very favorable for the Boss V.

Is this the way to go? (Boss power VXT)
    What size?
    Does it work ok on a back drag?

11. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

A boss VXT is around 6k.

I don't think kansas gets that much snow does it?

Anyways...I don't think anyone can go wrong with a boss v.

12. Freezing Cold

from Kansas

Our average anual snowfall is 23". It does vary from year to year.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Get the smart locks.

14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

23".........:laughing:.......:laughing:

Just kidding! I want a VXT bad! If that's what you want, do it.

15. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Thats too funny!

16. Freezing Cold

from Kansas

Glad I could provide you with some comic relief:D:jester::laughing:

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

To the OP...... What is a tight route in your eyes?.....The truck is better for going from job to job, but the tractor will most likely move more snow faster (when properly equiped), and DEFINITELY be more durable.....not trying to sway you from setting the truck up, cause that might be the way to go for you, but just wondering about more details of your situation/layout of accounts? BTW, whats the biggest snow attachment you can put on a DX45? I would eventually like to add a 55 - 65 hr tractor (maybe bigger) to my fleet, with maybe a Ebling style rear plow and front pusher or blade.

18. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

If your able to spend that much on a plow and if your truck's GVW can handle it, look at a Western Wide Out. On my larger lots it really cuts my time down. I love mine. But again, with that little bit of snow, is spending that much $$$ wise? Unless your doing a TON of plowing per snow fall, your payback would be years.

19. bosman

bosman Senior Member

Thats a lot of $ for a plow, with a yearly snowfall of 23" you could probably get by with straight blade. Not nearly as cool, but they work. I think you'll find a lot of guys on PS from up North that get buried in snow would love to have a V plow but get it done with a straight blade.

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

OP I see your still lurking after all these years.....
    so...
    how did you make out?