1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help frame looks bad...

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by CornerStoneProp, Oct 24, 2013.

1. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

My "great investment" went south when I finally got the old bed off and the right side frame rail looks pretty bad. Can the frame be welded from about 8 inches behind the cab and back? Looks very bad for only 66k miles. I will try to get a pic up tomorrow if I can.

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Anything can be fixed, and frames are in the easy column most of the time.

Curious to see a picture, pretty wierd to have a broken frame with that few miles I'd think.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You talking it's thin after rust? Cracked or bent? You get a good enough welder and the trucks worth fixing it's not a deal breaker. It just depends on what is wrong. In my area you get "lot rot". The vehicle sits over gravel drive or lot for long periods of time. It has not been under coated or oil sprayed. It may have low miles, but it's rusted badly from no air movement and constant moisture. It never dries out.

4. CornerStoneProp

Oh rust would be an understatement. Parts look like swiss cheese and others are thin as in very thin. Top and bottom of c channel very bad. It is not broken... Yet...

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes pics would help. Year and model truck as well might help too. When they started using the liquid instant rot chemicals this could be possible. Depending on the issue, this could be welded and fishplated.
    T.J.

6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

silly question, but didn't you inspect the truck before you bought it? every used vehicle i buy (especially trucks) i crawl underneath and inspect. with a frame as bad as you describe, i'd have to image it would be obvious to anyone taking a 60 second look?

7. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Depending on "how much" of the frame is in this condition, it may be best to cut your losses.

Also based upon on the value of the parts, you actually could make some of your money back by disassembling and selling the parts individually.

8. CornerStoneProp

Its a 96 with low miles being told it needs a frame. F350 standard welding said they will not touch it. If I can't find somebody to fix the frame, I am going to part it out. Fisher minute mount one eight and a half foot that works fine for sale. Also an 8 foot dump body . Engine transmission and transfer case all work. This really sucks cause I'm deep in it right now

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  9. CornerStoneProp

I did not know how bad the frame was until I took the bed off

10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Again. Post pics so we can see this.

11. CornerStoneProp

I will as soon as I get out of work

12. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i may be interested in the dump body. maybe the entire truck if you are selling....

13. CornerStoneProp

It all depends on if it can be fixed

14. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I had a Chevy, where the frame broke completely in half right at the front horns just behind the motor mounts. I fixed it, plated and boxed it in and I hear to this day it is still on the road and plowing with no issues.
    Anything can be fixed but there is a value payoff.
    T.J.

15. CornerStoneProp

The difference is that you're a very talented welder. I am NOT

16. CornerStoneProp

17. Super Mech

Super Mech Member

I dont post here much but thats pretty bad. I'll be honest with you say I wouldn't touch it and I know how to weld pretty well. I had a 2000 dodge ram 2500 in my shop last week that had 31,000 miles on it and it was rotted just as bad. Heck it was rotted so bad the left door wouldn't close. If there is anything good left part it out and cut you're losses.

18. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the pix. Yeah, rustmonster got that truck. Cut your losses is the only option here, and part it out.

BTW.

BE GLAD... that you found this out before you started driving it. That would have been a hell of a mess as that truck split in two cruising on some road somewhere...

also.... depending on the state in which you live in, you might be able to go back to the guy who sold it to you, as by law, if he had knowledge of that rot, he'd be required to disclose it.

Good luck... Hopefully you make a good $$ parting it out.

19. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i would look for a frame and just swap everything over to the good frame.

20. CornerStoneProp

I was thinking about looking for a truck with blown motor or just sell it I don't need it I just wanted a toy.