1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help ford deisel 4x4 problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by candyman13601, Jan 19, 2008.

1. candyman13601

candyman13601 Junior Member

hey guys i have a 2001 f350 7.3 liter. i just got done plowing and i was in 4wd and took it out and now it says on the dash i am in 4 low and is not shifting to any high range.there is no change when i switch between 4x4 and 2wd any ideas what it might be? transmission fluid is good and dousn't smell burnt at all.

2. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

try posting at http://www.ford-trucks.com/ youll def. get some real good answers there on ford trucks and repair issues...

do you have the electronic shift on the fly or the 4x4 shifter on the floor?

3. candyman13601

it is electronic shift

it is electronic shift its a knob mounted on the dash

4. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

sounds like a wiper motor on the t-case is frozen / binding you can try tappin on motor case see if it frees up. you can take the motor off the t-case and move the shaft with pliers and make sure thats free no problems with your t-case

5. jrglandscape

jrglandscape Member

Mine was the relay under the hood. There is one for shifting in 4 high and one for 4 low. They are in a seperate little box next to the large fuse box.

6. candyman13601

A very big THANK YOU to everyone

i just wanted to say thank you guys for all your advice on my situation. i have resolved it with your help thank you so much i really appreciate the help.

7. toast

toast Member

To shift from 4lo to 4 high, you need to be in Neutral, stopped, and with your foot on the brake. From 4 high, you can shift on the fly to 2wd.

8. mike psd

from pa

candyman what did you find ?

9. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

That is exactly the reason I order my trucks with the manual hubs & shifter on the floor, much less troubleshooting in these situations.:waving:

10. candyman13601

follow up

i put the truck in nuetral and turned the dash knob thru the modes and then ended it in 4 high and put it in drive and the light went out and the truck was back to normal. now i just wish we had enough snow coming to plow lol it all went south last light and is still snowing like 30 miles from here they are estimating 3-5 feet by tommorrow.

11. mike psd

from pa

good nothing major thats the why i like it hahaha good luck