1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help for Newbie F250 of F350

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lineman88, Dec 11, 2003.

1. lineman88

lineman88 Junior Member

As a newbie, I was wondering if I could ask a general question of the members for their advice on a truck purchase. I'm trading my Tundra for a snow plow capable truck - planning on 4x4 Supercab SB 5.4L with 8' Fisher HD (popular in this area). I plan to plow my office parking lot (25 spaces) and driveway 400') and I'll be using the truck for general commuting (10K/yr). I'm concerned that I don't need the extra suspension of the 350 and since I'll be using it for mostly non plowing driving, I'd like the best ride. How do the plowing abilities compare? And how does the dry pavement ride compare? Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.
  2. Huften Lawn

Huften Lawn Junior Member
    from CT

do the two have the same front suspensions? I believe the 350 has a straight axle. Not sure though.
  3. lineman88

lineman88 Junior Member

In the 2004 year they are similar. I believe the 350 has coils up front and the 250 leafs. I really haven't been able to get a clear description on the Ford or other auto pages. Maybe one of the experienced members know.
  4. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

All my trucks are old, late 80's to be exact, but I found that nothing beats a straight front axle woth leafs for plowing. Leafs are better that coils and a straight front axle is better than independent front suspension for plowing (of course, this is only my opinion, I don't want to start a fight!). The heavier the truck the better!
  5. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Both the F250 and F350 have a solid front axle with leaf springs. I think there are three different ratings for the front springs.

6000# (X-springs)

An F250 will be perfect for just about any type of plowing. They usually have the 5200# springs with the plow package also.

You can check the sticker on the inside of the drivers door for the front rating.
  6. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

i have a 2004 F250 Supercab shortbed with the 5.4 8. I love my new truck. You guys are right, the 250 has leaf springs up front. Anyway, for just an 8 foot plow, a 250 with a plow prep package is PLENTY of truck. I have a Western pro 8 foot with ultramount and plow prep package, and with the plow raised, my drop drops less than an inch. The truck i have also has the fx4 package so the rancho shocks stiffen it up a bit, and the ride is smooth, but at times can feel a little bumper but feels very sturdy. To answer your question, i think the 250 is plenty for what you are looking to do, not to mention the 250 can handle 5000 in the bed itself, i will never need more than that. Go with a 250 5.4, and you will be more than happy, I am so far. Getting a 250 vs. a 150 is the best descion i have ever made.
  7. Snowny

Snowny Junior Member

Sounds like your truck questions was answered.

Blizzar 810 snow plow, if you can get one I'd really recomend getting it, it's **** plowing couple of years in the future compare to other plows, even compare to the V.
  8. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

I presently own a 03 F-250 and a 04 F-350 both trucks are exactly the same spec's until you get to the rear springs the F-350's GVWR is 9700lbs the F-250 is rated for about 1000lbs less. Unless you intend to carry a heavy load the F-250 would be my choice it just rides better. As I said earlier they are exactly the same truck, all the components are the same the only difference is the heavier rear springs. I was a Chevy man for many years until I drove the Ford, I think you would be happy with it, it's a great plow truck..
  9. lineman88

lineman88 Junior Member

Thanks to all for the info -I'll go with the F250 - sounds like the best for my needs. Thanks again!
  10. hoagie

hoagie Member

Actually the rear springs are identical as well... only difference is a 4" lift block compared to a 2" lift block on the 250.
  11. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

go with the ford f-250 since it wont be to much of a work truck. you dont need the extra truck that you get with the 350 ford:)