1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help for home built salt spreader controller

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by xjoedirt55x, Nov 3, 2014.

1. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

Okay, so I went to test my equipment and my salt spreader controller out. Nothing from the salter and no indication from the controller, so I tested the leads in , which there was power. I pulled the cover off, and noticed a piece that looks burnt, so I might just go to an electronics repair shop and see if they can just replace it.

All that aside, I want to make some backup boxes, in case I run into issues mid-season. I am running a Western pro-flo tailgate spreader. I do like the option of different speeds, but do not want to mess with the more expensive rheostat option. I have seen posted about using a box, simple switch for on/off, a relay and a 3-way for 3 speeds using resistors. My question is what are some good resistors to do the trick (and resistance rating) to get a low, medium and obviously no resistance for full speed.

Also, if anybody knows what the red and white connectors on the Western salt spreader controller are called, I would like to match them so the boxes are interchangeable.

If you have any pictures of suggestions, lets see/hear them