1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help for a project. Lets get the pros in on this.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jhall22guitar, Jan 9, 2012.

1. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, I am a Senior in High School, I do have 2 years of plowing experience, so I am not an expert but I do (sorta) know what I am doing. Im in a club called DECA (its business and marketing) and am going to a state competition.

My project is to design my own company, and make a business plan/projected profits etc.

I need to know how many commercial lots a team with the following equipment could do (seasonal contracts preferred to make the project easier).

3 F250's (1 or 2 with spreader, Help me choose) With 8'6" Boss Power V's
    1 F550 Dump with a spreader (help me choose a plow size)
    1 Skid steer (10ft box)
    1 Small loader/Backhoe (10ft box, if I can go bigger let me know)
    and maybe 4 snow blowers.

I would like to have a mix of residential/commercial. (Please all seasonal contracts)

Also, if you know the cost of a NEW boss power V (8'6" and 9'6") it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!!!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You can do want ever you want with all that stuff. Dump the driveways.New Boss around 6,000.00 Man, when I was in DECA all we did was go drinking at State and Nationals.Of course it was 18 back then!

3. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

sounds interesting

I wish my boys were doing something like that. Let me know what model worked best for you. Good luck and you've come to the right place for a little help with your homework. Subscribing.

4. jhall22guitar

Well Im on here to look through stuff for my company (ill be 18 in March) so I get some good tips and learn im not the only one who gets WAY to pumped before the storms.

And about the drinking, it will probably happen, Ill be in Boston. I just really need help with the prices for the contracts, how many lots could I do, and what price, lets say they are all average sized lots. (if someone could give me the demensions that would be great!)

But also, how many lots would it be able to do in your opinion? I only do driveways for my company and with a friend so I wouldnt know about this size.

Thanks again

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  5. grandview

You can do a small mall with that stuff. Post a Google Earth picture of something you want to do and we'll let you know.

6. jhall22guitar

I dont need a specific location, I just need an estimate of what it could make on an average size lot and how many of this size lot it could do.

I am going to use (for the project)

3 F350 with 8'6" Boss Power V
    1 F550 Dump with 9'6" Boss Power V (need price for a Spreader that will fit in the dump of a F550)
    1 Skid Steer with 12ft box

Please put in the salting/sidewalk prices into the cost, I just need an average sized lot.

If needed please use Mansfield Crossing for an example, or the Mansfield industrial park. (MA)

7. grandview

This place?

mansfield.jpg

8. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

You would be best to put thef350 on driveways I would think 100 or so at $20-$60 per push. Your dump with a 8-9 ft with wings can handle 5-10 small /avg lots say 1000-4000 a year no salt and your other 2 tractors could handle 5-10 acre lot but not easily transported so will probably stay on site. and Im not sure what you could get for a lot that size. all salting would be extra

9. grandview

100 driveway? Super plower!

10. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

I base seasonal on a 20 plow winter it may be more in your area

11. jhall22guitar

Grandview, yes thats it, Lets say I leave the skid steer there, and have all equipment doing commercial lots. What is a (slightly higher than average) seasonal price I could charge.

So for Mansfield Crossing, I would do Salting, Sidewalks, and Plowing

Questions I have:
    1. With current equipment could it be done?
    2. If not should I add a loader?
    3. How much salt would I need in a average season for the lot? (Cost?)

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully I do well, especially with all the help!

12. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

with 3 trucks and helpers to shovel :gunsfiring:I hope so!

13. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

A few items to chew on .... your estimated snowfall total on property ?
    total sq.ft. , Stacking location?
    removal ?
    material ? calcium on concrete ?
    Overhead ? Payroll, workmans comp .
    Insurance . Bonds
    manpower experience ?

14. grandview

I thought you meant one 350.

15. jhall22guitar

And if I could do 100 drives (damn that sounds like alot but it would be sweet!)

And I made it seasonal contracts (for the sake of the judges) and did a seasonal based on 20 pushes. How much should i charge per push, alot of driveways range from 4-12 cars around here, so lets say the driveways are all 8car.

Then could I use the F550 and skid on a commercial lot? What size/price would that be.

If someone comes up with the numbers for me on what they would do (PLEASE seasonal due to judges probably getting confused already LOL) it would probably be better than me trying to explain. But i think everyone is giving good ideas, to bad I have no idea how to charge that LOL

Thanks everyone

16. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

ya with 200 gallons of nitrious! lol

17. jhall22guitar

snowfall average lets say 45" i think, Mansfield Crossing has the stacks along the backs of the lots and in a smaller lot if they need to move piles on excessive years.

The judges most likely will have no clue what any of this means anyways and just nod and give me a good score.

18. grandview

Since the judges don't know how much ,make up a number ,like 400 a season per driveway.

19. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

$40 a drive way maybe a deal for season $600 give or take
    and $200 for salting

20. jhall22guitar

Ok, which would make more money, doing Mansfield crossing with all trucks plus a skid. OR just using 3 F350's and 1 F550 and just doing driveways, and no commercial (so probably 125 driveways? or whats a good number of driveways)