1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help first time bidding hourly

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by picknick15, Aug 24, 2009.

1. picknick15

picknick15 Junior Member

Please help I am new to the whole commercial bidding, and I am bidding on a subdivision with 3 miles of roads. two swipes on all the roads. they want it plowed every time they get 2-3 inch. I will probably also get like 6-8 residential lots from this so I really want to get the bid but I dont want to not make money do you guys have any idea what to charge per hour and how long it may take. I am using a 05 F-250 with an 8' curtis plow.
  2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

do you have any prior plowing experience with a pick up truck, so that you can gauge your productivity in an hours time?
  3. picknick15

picknick15 Junior Member

yes I do I have plowed residential lots for the past 3 seasons, but this is my first commercial job of this size, and my first time bidding hourly.
  4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

where in western md are you located? prices vary greatly over a short distance around here.
  5. picknick15

picknick15 Junior Member

at the very tip of maryland in Garrett County
  6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

no i dont mean to insult you but i mean, can you guage from driveways what you can produce linear footage wise per hour? I mean its hard for people to guess your abilities is all. i can shoot numbers out all day but that doesn't mean that they are accurate for you and cover your expenses.
  7. picknick15

picknick15 Junior Member

well I can say this I do my drive way in about 15 min and I have about 200' of drive way and 5 parking slots.
  8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Well you just have to figure out what you need to make per hour. I hate bidding jobs by the hour, because there are too many variables like: Are you bidding against honest people? Do they have a 2 hour minimum or such built into their contract? What other stipulations do they hide?

For me, the lowest I could go per hour would be $75/hr to make money. I could go lower if I needed the work, but I don't need it that bad. You can always make more bidding by the job. It all comes down to effeciency.
  9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Roads are REALLY fast.
    You'll probably need 4 swipes if it's 20' wide (like most are)

You can go like 15/20mph on a road and you never have to stop and back up (like in a lot). 3 miles of one road, 4 swipes, probably 30 to 45 minutes for 2-4" or so.

Figure an hour to be safe, but it won't really take that long.
  10. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Now that is a problem.:dizzy:
    Hourly is the easiest bid. How much would you like to make by the hour?
    Answer=Answer to the question.
  11. picknick15

picknick15 Junior Member

Well I figured it would take about 2.5 hours. Mainly because it is gravel there axre 5 dead ends and there are two pritty good sized hills too plow
  12. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

We have one contract that is hourly all of the time and it is bid high for our area they still want it that way and are most comfortable with that senario vs per push based on snow vs seasonal...don't get it all...funny, but true they like our higher prices vs others because we are productive on their sites...so they like it that way for some reason. One property is 44 acres so it is good money when it does snow for everyone us, subs, etc.

Does no good for anyone else to put rates on things because that is up to you, your area, etc. Lots of variables and like others mentioned watch out for guys who do low rates then pound the hours...in our case we have HIGH, HIGH rates and do what is ethical and right and this year the property managers e-mail to us was something like, "...are you still going to plow my properties for us this year, if so send me your rates again so I can get this done soon..." Okay changed date on rate sheet and sent it over...
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  13. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Well @ Xx2.5hrs. Answer your question and figure it out for yourself. Submit the bid and go from there. No matter how hard you try, you will never get an accurate bid from any one of us. The price varies in as little as 5 miles. Try as you might, you need to know what you need out of the contract. An established contractor may eat you alive or you may teach us a thang or two.

I'm going to bring up an older newpoll

Heads up!