1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help finding sub-contract work, Washington DC area

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by csalzano, Mar 4, 2015.

1. csalzano

csalzano Junior Member

Newbie to this site.
    Thanks for any help.
    In Washington DC, northern Virginia suburbs.

We have one f550, 4x4, 9' plow and 4 yard spreader.
    Had a contract last year for a property mgmt company, plowed about 5 times, but site was about an hour away.

This year switched to a landscape company to be closer to our shop. Got setup with sub-contract agreement in November to plow, then in January, got bumped from the route, so now no contract. (long story...). Now trying to find new contract.

I know its late, and I know winter is almost over, but I thought I'd ask these questions anyway.

Have made many calls, and sent dozens of emails to property mgmt companies, landscape companies, etc.
    Really having a hard time finding sub-contract work. Frustrated .... haven't plowed once this year.

Where else should I look? Maybe just impossible this time of year since sub-contract agreements are already in place. Might try VDOT for next year. Maybe sell my gear and give it up .... Thought it would be easier to find plow work. Maybe send my truck and driver to Buffalo next winter :)

Thanks for any help.
    cjs

2. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Just curious why are you so intent on subbing? If you have the equipment and man power why don't you just get your own accounts? Sounds like you have the ability to cold call so why not try to set up some work for next year. Believe it or not spring can be a great time to find new customers. People may not be happy with the service they recieved but did not want to switch mid season. You approach them while a bad winter is still fresh in their minds. And yes I think its a bit late to be looking for sub work

3. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

I don't know about VDOT specifically, but I've had great luck with my county and SHA up here in Maryland. I've billed a little over 200 hours this year and we haven't really seen much accumulation. Last year we were double that.

It's a lot nice than waiting for someone like brick man you call you up, bird dog you the whole time, and knock you off as soon as they can get away with it.

4. csalzano

csalzano Junior Member

thanks for the replies

we are hoping to sub mainly for convenience. plowing is a secondary line of business, I am consumed with our primary business and really don't have time for cold calls looking for plowing business ... certainly pros and cons to this, but that was my thinking.
    I think I will look at VDOT closer for next year, and hope to get an earlier start.
    thanks again for the replies!!

5. crawla

crawla Member

PM me and I will give you my email. I think this year is over for us though.

6. hsullc

hsullc Junior Member

VDOT is the way to go

Hello CJS,

If you are still looking at VDOT, shoot me an email. I have been doing VDOT work for about 5-6 years now. Its the way to go. Its just a matter of getting your foot in the door.

I am looking to expand my fleet by adding a few subs this year. Just for comparison sake...I pay 3/4-1 ton trucks with a minimum of an 8' plow and 2.5 yard spreader $100 per hour pushing. Anyway, if you are interested in discussing further, let me know.

Mike
    HSU

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  7. cmg1

cmg1 Junior Member

Give me a PM

Send me a message we have routes thought Maryland and Virginia