1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help figuring my gearing on '99 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 6feetdeep, Nov 28, 2007.

1. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

Wonder if anyone can tell me how to figure the gears in the rear end of my '99 1500 Silverado? I bought the truck used, and dont have an owners book for it. A friend who knows more than I told me there should be a sticker somewhere telling the gear ratio, on the door, in the glovebox, or on the radiator shroud. NOPE. not there. I guess I need to know if I can decipher this info. from the VIN number. Any help is appreciated.:waving:

2. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

You should be able to give your VIN to a dealer, and they can run a build sheet for you. Or you can pull the diff cover and count teeth.

3. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

When you looked in the glove box was there a sticker with different numbers on it?? Here are all the GM RPO codes for gearing and what gears they mean you have. Also if you have G80 that is the gm limited slip.

GT4 3.73
    GT5 4.10
    GT7 3.33
    GT8 4.10
    GU2 2.73
    GU4 3.08
    GU5 3.23
    GU6 3.42
    GV2 5.83
    HC4 4.56
    HC7 5.13
    HE3 3.07
    HF7 4.56
    HF8 4.88

4. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

His way is easier.........

5. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

Thanks!!
    I started counting teeth, but after the fifth or sixth time around, I realized I was getting nowhere! :cry: Just kidding.
    I will check that sticker, I saw it in the glovebox.
    Thanks for the help. :drinkup: