1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help ! F250 front axle question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by milkie62, Nov 19, 2011.

1. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I have a 2002 F250 4x4.The 4wd has never been abused and has always worked fine.Last year the original plastic locking hub dial broke in the cold.I decided to replace my hubs with the premium Warn hubs.The Warn hubs appeared to have been working fine but I would hear a little clunk every once in awhile with the hubs engaged.Well one day the 4wd would not work.Found passenger hub messed up.The star washer that is on the inside of the dial on the threaded part of the dial had worked its way all the way the wrong way on the dial so the passenger hub was not engaged hence no 4wd.Got a new pair under warranty and same thing happened after about a couple of snowstorms.But only on the passenger side(long axle side).The bearing assembly and U-joint were also replaced.Put another hub on and same thing---no 4wd because of that washer working down the threads.Called Warn directly and they never heard of the problem.I do notice that there is up and down movement of the axle when I put a pry bar in the U-joint area a pry against the U-joint.So I took the dial hub off and simulated pushing in on the locking hub gear.It would not push in because of mis-alignment of the axle stub shaft.So it looks to me that the dial is overcoming the the star washer and causing the washer not to ride up the threads and engaging the hub gear.Could someone check their passenger side axle shaft at the U-joint to see if there is up and down play ? Thanks Ed

2. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

Some up and down play is normal.

3. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Now I am stumped if there is suppose to be some play.Thought I had it figured out.

4. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

Up and down play is normal, this star nut you are talking about. Do you mean the large starish piece that slides in and engages the axle to the hub?

5. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

It is under the wave spring.yes it is the part that kinda walks up the hub as you turn it.hat in turn causes the moveable gear to slide in and engage everything.