1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!! Engine Problems

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Frostysnow, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

I am having a stalling issue with my dodge truck i just bought. Its a 95 dodge ram 2500 5.9L. I drove it for about a mile to the my school and then shut it off. When i was done i drove home and i got to the stop sign right infront of my house and as i came to a stop, the engine sputtered a little bit then died on me. I tried to turn it back on but it wouldn't turn over. I sat for anout min and tried it again and it turned on. I drove across the street to in front of my ouse and thought i would try driving a little further to see what happened. About 100' past my house it died on me while i was gong about 10mph? I got it turned around but then it died on me again. Finally i waited for a minute and was able to get to turn over once again so i got it to in front of my house. I sat let in park and reved the accelerator and it seemed to be ok but i am pretty sure it isn't Any ideas on what might be wrong? I am taking it to the shop in the morning.

2. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

pull codes and see what they are.
    it is mmore then likely just a sensor going bad

3. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

pull Codes is defintly the first thing..I had a 99 2500 with a 5.9 with similar problems...ended up being a Fuel Rail and and 3 injectors. also did a major Tune up to it.and it ran very well after that!

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

First thing I would do is pull the battery and have it load tested, the Dodge trucks do weird things with a low voltage condition.

5. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

I took it to the shop and they said it a voltage issue. Its gonna be about $400.00 to fix:cry:

6. Stark_Enterprises

is it a plow-related fix? what the heck could a 400$ voltage problem be? besides an altanator...

7. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

It was the alternator

8. Stark_Enterprises

9. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

you can get a alternator that will charge 5 batts for that price

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Go to NAPA- they're the most expensive auto parts store going and the get less for an alt.
    Autozone or CAP have lifetime rebuilds for something like $150. Did mine last season.

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I just picked up a 136amp alt for my truck for $244 with a $44 core charge.
    So you being charged $200 for the shop time seams a little high.

12. festerw

festerw Senior Member

$200 is real high on a 5.2/5.9 it takes about 20 minutes to change out an alt.

13. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

Well no mateer what i paid for the altanator im not happy!! I picked the truck from the shop and it was working fine, started the truclk up today (fine), and drove to get my plow. I went in and paid and when i came back out to hook up my plow it wouldn't even turn over. The truck was dead! Luckily, the shop had a batteyr charger so we got it started and going. hooked up the plow and i came home. Well i turned off the truck and i cant get it started up again. I am going to jump it with my other truck in the morning and take it back down to the shop. Only God seems to know what is wrong with the truck:dizzy:

14. Stark_Enterprises

Battery is in Good Condition right?:dizzy:

15. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

it seems so, I know the shop would have tested it before they did the alt.

16. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

no now they can sell you a batt for 400.. Ill bet a dollar the cells where shot and not the alternator iv seen them put starters in when it was the batt

17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

yeah, could very well be the batt all along. They should have tested the alt before replacing it.

When a batt is dead- really dead a cell can reverse charge which has the effect of creating a short internally and dropping the max voltage to 8-10 volts. (roughly 2 volts per cell and reversing voltage can nulify another cell's positive voltage) No amount of charging will start the truck on 8 volts or bring the batt back. A bad batt will also cook the alt if let go. with the truck running the volt gage should give you some indication- not necessarliy a really low voltage reading, but a little lower. Mine only read 1 volt low (about the needles width) when I had my batts going.

18. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

Finally, some good news. All that was wrong was a wire that was not properly connected. I think the ground wire? Mechanics mistake, didnt cost me anything. I have taken a lot of repairs to this guy and i really trust him. $400.00 break-down is: 120amp alternator $198.00, belt tensioner 88.00 Shop Supplies $15.00 and labor of $78.00 plus $27.00 tax

19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I would question the tensioner- they DO go bad with age, but the number one cause of breaking human error on the mechanics part. If the arm broke or is cracked HE did it. If the bearing is gone/going or the spring is going that's another story.

You loosen the belt by useing a breaker bar in the tensioner arm- only moving it enough to remove the belt- if it's moved too far it breaks, if it's moved in the wrong direction when going to reinstall the belt it breaks- easy to confuse the direction when the belt is off too. Just don't pay for his mistake - especially since he forgot a wire.....

20. RickO

RickO Junior Member
    from Ohio

If you trust the guy don't question the tensioner. You don't piss off a good mechanic that you trust.