1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP elbo fitting / solenoid changeing HELP HELP

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by BillyRgn, Feb 20, 2007.

1. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Alright, i was trying to change one of the elbo's on the hose fitting on my E-60, in order spin it completly i have to remove one of the solenoids, i took the nut and washer off the top, but it would't come off, called the dealer, they said sometimes they get stuck, mechanic there said try a pair of plyers to loosen it. So I twisted it a little with a pair of channel lock's and finally got it to spin, the only problem is the stud is spinning with it, after trying for a while i finally gave up and put it back together, because i had to plow, everything worked fine, but i really have to fix the elbo beacuse it's cracked and leaking fluid, does anyone know how i can get that solenoid off, i was going to try vice grips on the stud but i am afraid of stripping it. thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the coil is that tight on the valve then the stem on the valve is swelled.Fairly common thing on the Meyer pump's.The swelling is caused by high hydraulic force hitting the valve when the blade strike's an object.The crossover relief valve takes most of the pressure but the C valve (the one your trying to remove) gets alot of it too and after enough time's it swell's the body of the valve,making the coil tight on the stem.I know you said that the plow works fine but I'd highly recommend replacing the valve and coil now as it will give you problem's eventually anyway.

3. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

is the valve the thing that the coil is on top of ?? and how can i get the coil off or can i get it off, also what will happen if it breaks ??? thanks

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, the valve is under the coil.If your gonna change the valve too then you won't have to worry about damaging the valve or the coil, just grab the coil with the channel locks or vise grips and turn it counter clockwise.In fact when your turning the coil you might be screwing the valve out of the block with it.That's fine, just unscrew the whole work's and pitch it in the trash.

5. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

alright thanks thats what i needed to know

6. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Another method

Hi

What I have done to avoid dealing with the solenoid, is I cut the elbow off with a hack saw then turn whats left out with a vice grip, then I get a 2.5" brass nipple and a regular elbow, install the nipple into the valve housing, then install the elbow, then install your coupling , it beats breaking a solenoid or crossover valve.

Jay

7. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

thats a great idea, i'm deffinatly stealing your idea on this one if you don't mind

8. akgloomis

akgloomis Junior Member

You can also use the old swivel style elbow, p/n 21855, that will not require removal of the coil either. The swivel 90 is not as durable as the rigid 90 but it elveate the issue you are having.

9. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

still just having a small problem, i was going to change the solenoid, with the green wire, because i be leave that the stud swelled up or something, because when you remove the nut you can't pull the solenoid off the valve, and when you twist it with channel locks the stud moves with it, i was going to try to replace the solenoid and the valve, how ever ware the wire comes out of the solenoid it hits the block ware it is raised up underneath the solenoid to the right of it, so it looks like it has to be pulled off instead of turned off, also, what is the solenoid with the green wire's function, in other words, what will happen if the solenoid fails ?? anyone have any ideas or input, any would help because i have none my self, also the pump is an E-60

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The valve/coil your working on with the green wire is for your "angle right" function.Work the coil up off the valve just enough to give you the room to unscrew the valve.Since your going to replace the valve any way (sounds like it definitely needs it) you don't have to worry to much about damaging it.