1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help drilling Ford reverse strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by SullivanSeptic, Nov 22, 2014.

1. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I am installing LED hide a ways on my 2013 F350. I have the fronts done and I am trying to find where to drill the rears. I want to install them in the clear reverse lens. Anyone do this and have any pics or tips on how to? Its a pretty tight area and I am not sure it will fit. But I have seen plenty of pics and vids of guys with them installed that way. Any help?

2. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Either take out the 194 bulb and make a 1" hole which is the best way imo. If you don't want to that drill from the inside closest to the tailgate so the bulb is facing out towards the sides.

3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

most reverse installs i have seen eliminate the reverse bulb, and remote the mount reverse lights.
    i mount the rear strobes in the brake light, there is a lot more room in that one.

4. durafish

from 02919

There is a factory spot for strobestrobthe bottom of the lights. If you can run red go there so your not fighting with the brake light.

5. SullivanSeptic

The bottom housing makes the light very dull. I may just have to drill the brake light. Really don't want to tho. I have clear led hid a ways and want the flash bright. But I also want reverse lights. I guess I know my options, I'm just wishing there ware more.

6. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

It is illegal to run red strobes in the in Illinois.

7. SullivanSeptic

Then come over and drill mine in the reverse lights.

8. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

You might not be happy with the job but I will!!!!!

9. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

What I did on my previous truck, was drill out the reverse light bulb to 1" and mounted the led HAW to utilize the entire reverse light housing. The stock backup lights are useless as we all know. Buy a pair of D2 rigid industries light sullivanseptic. Makes night time into day time. I got a new truck and have gone away from hide aways on new trucks. All my old trucks Id have no problem drilling and running wires everywhere. My new truck no thanks. Lightbar and good backup lights are all I need now.

10. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Buy Feniex Cannon Hideaways. Put them in place of the reverse lamps, one mode set to solid and used as reverse light, 2nd mode set to flash as hideaways.

11. SullivanSeptic

I was just looking at those. So I can wire them to do both? Backup when in normal mode and strobe when plowing? How would the wiring go?

12. durafish

from 02919

Yes. That's exactly what I did.

13. SullivanSeptic

How do u wire that?

14. durafish

from 02919

Ground is ground. Then there are 2 wires I think red and yellow. You hook the yellow wire up to (+) and scan through the patterns till you get steady burn clear. THen hook that up to the factory reverse feed. Other wire red would be the one that gets power when you hit a switch for strobes. There's a few others threads with better info.

15. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

instead of drilling it , i heated a 1'' hole saw , press it into the lense .only get 1 shot at it .

16. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Wire as any other light except it has 3 +12v inputs, each activating a different mode. You would connect the black grounds to ground, connect the blue sync together (You'll have to set one to master and one to slave if you want them to alternate, this wire is also the pattern change wire), Connect the Mode 3 Green wire to your current reverse light positive wire, then Mode 2 yellow, and mode 1 red can be connected to switches inside and be set to different patterns or if you get clear and amber ones you can make one switch flash just clear, and one flash just amber or amber and clear. If you don't want the option of more than one flash pattern you can just connect one of the other mode wires to the switch inside. Really the best LED hideaways there is out there.

17. SullivanSeptic

Nice. Sounds like a plan right there. What kind of cost are they going for?

18. SullivanSeptic

Any issue with over heating when on steady burn in reverse? Details say it can only do a steady burn for a few mins.

19. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

60 to 70 bucks a piece.

That is a good point, most people running them are not driving very far in reverse. They will automatically cut the amount of LED's on from 12 to 6 keep from overheating but even with 6 they're pretty bright. With just the 6 on they shouldn't have an issue overheating.

I Mixed up mode 1 and 3 here. Connect mode 1 red to your reverse lights. The only reason it matters is mode 1 will override the others.

20. SullivanSeptic

I gotta get these then. Im on their website now. I like the dual color also. I can do steady burn in clear for reverse, then hot the upfitter switch and have dual color strobe going.

I am mounting led spot lights on headache rack anyway. so I'll have plenty of reverse light then. With dark window tints and being lazy, I like lots of light behind me when plowing