1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! down pressure is not responding

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by edkski, Dec 17, 2005.

1. edkski

edkski Junior Member

I have a snoway plow that I bought new 5 years ago. It is the taller plow that is rated for a 99 Dodge 1/2 ton. Last year I took it to the local dealer in Buffalo NY. and I honestly feel that he shorted out the brain. It wound up being the pump motor was shot (which the factory paid part of).Before the pump broke everything worked.When I took it to the dealer I watched the technician jumping every electrical component.I suspected the pump when i took it there and so did the tech. It wound up they replaced the pump and then said the down pressure was not working. As it turned out I had to buy a new kit that came with a new wired remote, computer (brain), wiring harness. The reasoning was that the kit was only a few dollars more than the brain so I basically got an extra remote for free. A few days ago I was going the switch the remote because the new style requires holding two buttons to turn on rather than the sequence of buttons that the old one required. When I powered up the new controller the down pressure would not work but the old remote did work (dp). Around the same time I noticed the driver side plow light was dim. Last night was the first time I had to plow (this week). Using the old remote the DP switch light goes on and off but the DP is not working. I think it is locked on. Also, the drivers side plow light is now working. Is this a coincidences? where should I start? I only plow my 300' driveway and probably used this plow 15 times sense the new motor and brain were installed. That repair cost me $700 bucks! and I will not go back to the dealer unless I absolutely have to. I just found this site last night and I am very impressed! I use another forum for my Ford 8N tractor and it is amazing the knowledge that is on these forums. thank you in advance for any help.
  2. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Hi edkski
    If the down pressure worked with the old controller and not with the new one I would suspect a problem with the new controller. I would reconnect the old one and see if the DP is working as it should. If so the problem is that new controller. In any event I would take it back to the dealer so that they can solve the problem you paid them to in the first place.

As for the dim headlight I would recommend cleaning the electrical contacts where the plow lights connect to your truck (the wireing harness out front) then applying a generous amount of dielectric grease. That is the most common problem with dim lights, poor corroded connections. If that does not solve the problem you will have to look at the connection inside of the housing (mounted on the plow frame) between the bulb and the harness and on the truck side where the lights attach to the trucks weiring.

With all the salt we use here in Buffalo these electrical connections need to be kept well greased. As I am writing this I would also recommend cleaning and applying a generous amount of the dielectric grease to the round 3 pin connector where your plow controller connects to the harness inside the cab as well as the conection point out in front of your truck.

The dim headlight problem will be a separate issue if the controller but both problems may just be bad contacts in the electricial system.

Hope this helps,
  3. edkski

edkski Junior Member

hey ken1zk (found wire fell off)

What do you think about these plows? I had a western for a couple weeks but the truck craped out. Before that I had a '63 3/4 ton ford with hydaulic up and down manual left and right. The '63 was a beast! When I bought the dodge new in 99 I had the ford. after the ford motor blew I paid a guy for a year then bought the snoway. I was just looking at the paper work. I paid $3800 for the plow 3 years ago plus a $700 repair last year (brain, motor, and labor). I plow my driveway and my mother next door.So far I spent $4600 thats a little steep! if you plow commercially how has yours held up. Do you really think this is a good plow? Last month I saw one on Bullis rd. for $700! I told my by to buy it that it's worth $700 but it ain't worth $4600.
  4. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

In addition to checking all the wires in the wire loom, and the pins in the deutch connector, you should check the relays to be sure they are seated correctly and not corroded.

After cleaning/greasing/checking these, check the solenoid on the downpressure to be sure it is OK. When operating properly the pump should cycle.

As for the longevity of these beasts, if cared for they are a very solid plow. We have had many over the years, and still have one on one of our fleet.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No DP

Make sure all the pins in the plug connecting the receiver to the pump assmb. are securely set. The contoller is rarely the problem with these units. If the lights are flickering on the control it means it's ( the control) working properly. check to see if the dp switch is properly connected. You can call SnoWay direct. the number is in your manual, ask for tech, Steve, Andy and Bob are very helpful.
    As for the dim light, If it,s on the truck check fuses. Dodge has seperate fuses for the headlights. If the fuse is blown the light lights but is very dim.
    If it's on the plow check the grounds.
  6. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Hi Ed - Glad you were able to fix it. I purchased my st-80 last season from Zappia over on Digens Street. I had it mounted on a 95 Nissan from my summer business's fleet. It was meant to be a back up to my Suburban with an old Meyer set up. I liked it so much that the Nissan/Sno-way combo became the primary plow truck! This past fall I retired the old Suburban I am now looking for a Jeep Wrangler.

I purchased the Sno-way new with the intention of moving it to another medium duty pickup in a couple of years. I do a lot of real tight stuff here in the city and I have been very happy with the Sno-way. It really stacks the snow, which it very important in tight places like the ones I do and the downpressure feature makes it a real efficient backdraging plow. One pull back and it's clean.

About a week after I bought the Sno-way I did have a minor issue with the plow floating while driving. (It wouldn't stay locked in the up position.) Went to Zappia and they fixed it in 10 minutes and I was back on my way. Zappia was bought out by Southside Trailer in Tonawanda and all the service ans sales guys are up there now. I've been real happy with dealing with them as well. My old Meyer served me well and I would have bought another, but it was the down pressure feature that sold me on Sno-way. Jerry May at Zappia let me try one in their lot that was on their yard truck. SOLD!

I'll bet that old ford was a real beast! I learned to drive on my dad's 65 with the manual trans, and the strong arm steering. That truck was bulletproof. Yes it is an expense for your own driveway but you'll have it for many years.

Good luck with it