1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help diagnose Fisher problem

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by sparky8370, Dec 9, 2009.

1. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Well, not really sure if it's a problem because it's been like this for 3 years. I bought the plow used. The previous owner had put a brand new pump motor on, but then realized it was his truck side wiring that was his problem.
    Ever since I had it, when the pump is on it growls most of the time. Almost like it's cavitating or something. A lot of the time when angling to the right it sounds normal, but not all the time. I have never heard another Fisher do this. I have also changed the fluid trying to get it to sound normal and that didn't work.
    Here are some of the other symptoms it's had over the 3 years, in case it helps.
    Some times it will angle left but not right. Pressing the right button will sometimes make it go left when this happens. I think that when it has done this, it's because the plugs aren't fully seated because once when it didn't correct itself I unplugged and blew out the connections and re-plugged and it worked fine.
    It angles to the right 1 second faster than to the left.
    At one time it was lowering on it's own. I just went up and kept pressing up for an extra second and that cleared that problem.
    Thanks I'll appreciate any help coming my way as this is irritating. Very loud too and makes it sound like a piece of junk.
  2. nichols

nichols Member

Mine sounded exactly like that, with the added symptom of being wicked slow. I pulled the motor, pulled the pump, and cleaned the filter on the pump.

When I've been low on fluid in the past, the it will do whacky things like you describe with wrong directions and such - like raising the plow when I try to angle it, etc. But, I've also had those sorts of problems when my plugs weren't correctly seated.

I'd start with flushing the fluid and filling to the right levels.
  3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Crazy, mine started doing this last night as well. Very slow to angle when lifted- when I drop the blade fully and angle it angles fine and much faster. Sometime's it sounds like its cavatating while raised and I try to angle. The Fluid must be low so I'll be adding some tonight. Should the center piston be raised or lowered while filling with fluid, because I topped off the fluid this season with the center piston in the lowered position (i pushed it all the way down as well). Thanks!
  4. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I don't believe it's related to oil level in my case as I changed it and it still happened, although that was 3 years ago.
  5. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I also get a huge amp draw when the pump is running. It really draws it down. I have two 850 cc amp batteries in there but it will bring the dash lights down to almost nothing.
  6. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

I'm guessing it's an insta-act pump? MM2? Check the coil connections on the back --clean and grease -- if nothing looks abnormal-- check the harness connections clean - with truck running and toes out of the way! see if the cable may have a brocken wire(s) to the pump (truck side ) Hope this helps.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Lift ram should be compressed when filling the fluid. You may want to raise it a couple inches though so you can overfill it some. If there is too much extra, it will blow out the breather. Do you have the new gray breather?
  8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I actually figured it out, it was just low on fluid. I can't tell you what kinda breather I have as the previous owner painted everything black on the SEHP Pump- even the wires- stupid a*s.
  9. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

My 01 dash lights dim also, it has always done it, soon as I release the button it goes right back up to above 14 on the gauge. I have (2) 1000 CCA batteries too.