1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Deflectors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wak, Feb 29, 2004.

1. wak

wak Junior Member

Hey. I have a Meyer Plow and am looking to make my own snow deflector. Does anyone know what material the snow deflectors are made from? I think it might be a 2-ply rubber- maybe polyetheylene. I looked into used conveyor belts, but am confused about what type to use. Is Green PVC a good idea?

Any input would be welcomed!
    Thanks,
    Wak

2. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I make mine out of Goodyear Conveyor belting

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

We use baler belting from the farm supply store. Bought first deflector from dealer. Made of same material...Chuck

4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

bailer belting @ tsc is JUNK, it is only ¼" thick, I dont use anything thinner then 3/8" and recomend ½" for 95% of all applications

5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Thats interesting...Both Tractor Supplies in my area carry 3/8 and 1/2 only.I use the 3/8 for replacing the squeegees on my blowers and the 1/2 for the deflectors. Same size as I bought from Central Parts as a kit...
    The belting I use for my blowers last longer than the OEM at a third the price...Chuck

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My deflectors made of old steam tractor drive belt. It's 1/2 inch LEATHER belting.I didn't figure that out till it got wet the first time.
    When it gets wet it sticks straight up. It does not roll snow at that point, but it does shoot it straight up, it keeps snow out of the grill at least.
    But, hey it was free! and my buddy didn't know it was leather either.