1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help deciding on type of plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by AceRed, Dec 6, 2014.

1. AceRed

AceRed Junior Member

First post. I've never plowed snow. I am looking to hang a plow on a 2001 F250 V10. 4800 on the front springs.

I own a retail hardware store. I am currently paying for plowing. I don't believe I will take over that responsibility this year. Perhaps next year and then again maybe never. I do have some need for plowing however.

We get a ton of traffic past our front door heading to my neighbors gas station. Snow will become packed quickly. If it snows during the day, the plow guys generally don't show up until after we close. If it's really bad, they will come by and keep us open but hard to plow clean with traffic.

We also have rental trucks. They back drag around them but we have to snow blow between them into a drive area.....and it gets packed waiting for plow guys.

So my goals initially are this. Be able to clean around trucks when they all rent or move snow when we blow it out from them. Also back drag a clear area if it's snowing and a truck comes in we were not expecting. Second, is to keep my lot reasonable during daytime snows. Especially the entrance. It's a bit uphill and will ice over with packed snow. Third, when it slushes up, I can get after it and get down to blacktop. And lastly, we have a garden center area we blow out into the street.....and it gets driven on and packed....and icy and rutted.

If I can get proficient enough at it, I may take over plowing completely. Just one lot. The property is essentially a triangle shaped building and a triangle lot with pavement all the way around. I'm thinking I can literally windrow around in a big circle for the most part. I have three distinct areas to put snow on the corners of the triangle.

Sorry if this is getting winded.

Plow choices. Used is probably best. It's not going to be used a ton and I doubt i'll ever wear it out. Right now I have 2 decent choices available. Pros and cons. But I will defer to your experience here. I can also hold out longer for something that might turn up.

I can purchase a 7'6" MVP plus that's about 3 years old. (looks super new) with mount and install included (everything) for $4200 (including tax).

There is a 2 year old 8'6" Pro Plus with Wings included and the correct mount for my truck for $4000. (I don't believe install included)

Worried the Vplow (MVP Plus) is too narrow. Would really be nice to move the snow where I need it. We don't have a lot of places to put it. The straight blade is pretty big with the wings but it seems people really like those. I wish someone made wings for the 7'6" MVP and I'd be set.

Also, Boss Power V plow 8.2 for $2500. Might have to get correct mount for that. I have no idea how old it is and would have to pay for install and correct harness for Ford.

Suggestions.

I think if clean up only, the 7'6" MVP Plus V would be perfect. But am I going to be sad If I take over the whole job?

For the most part, the lot is one long strip 46' wide (drive lane and row of parking) about 350' long and then two double wide drive lanes surrounding the store. It's not huge by any means.

I'm all ears.

Thanks a bunch. And sorry for the long post. I'm not brand loyal, they all seem to work. A lot of all types of dealers around MPLS so that shouldn't be an issue.

Or should I wait.

2. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Sounds like you need to find a new provider really.

Why are you doing some of their work? And yea, if you blow out your garden area into the parking lot it's going to get packed down if they aren't there to plow it away. Why are you blowing in between your rental trucks? Just move them and plow the area, then move them back.

I have to be honest, I think neither you nor your current provider are capable of doing this.

3. AceRed

AceRed Junior Member

Thanks for your reply.

Starting 24' Diesel moving trucks at -15, warming up, and then finding a place to put them to plow makes blowing in between them a reality. Lot has already been plowed before we are open and we may not have time to move snow around trucks for hours. All depends how busy we are.

And quite honestly, we are exceptionally capable people. I'm the guy people turn to when their stuff is broke. There is an obvious learning curve to plowing. I'm not concerned about my ability to learn how to do it. Mechanically we are excellent. Just got done putting motor in sons truck as an example.

I failed to mention that I do borrow my neighbors bobcat when I want/need it so I do have options. Problem is he's plowing with it when I want it lol. Kind of hard to wrestle him for it!

4. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Gotcha, didn't think you had that many rental trucks haha. That's a ton of work. But why is it that your plow guy doesn't always come when your open? It sounds like your place should be a high priority because of all the traffic.

Your definitely best off sticking with your plan of buying a plow since you have the time to take care the property the way you need, that way you can plow what your guys snow blow out into the lot.

Good Luck

5. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

I think you might be better off with a straight blade for what you are going to use it for. An 8' might be a better choice and shouldn't be too hard to find used. I have the same truck as you only with the plow prep package. Had a 9' straight blade that I used for years but switched to a V blade last fall.

6. AceRed

AceRed Junior Member

The plow company is a good group. Our lot is done in a timely matter before we open. We just have a lot of snow to move with sidewalks, garden center, trucks etc. And the traffic through our lot is horrendous. Obviously that's a good thing....but bad for snow removal, lol Gas station is open at 4:30 and we open at 8.

They will come by if I call. Of course that starts to add up in the $$ category. I'm also a really small fish in the scheme of what they do. I've had such awful snowplow service over the years but these guys are pretty good. It's more of a logistical nightmare hence the desire for my own plow.

I really want the V. Seems like a fair price. Just concerned 7'6" is too narrow for truck and I can't clean close enough to curbs.

With 11' plow, they generally charge us one hour of time. ($100 every time it snows)

7. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

not to be but it doesnt matter where you are on their list, you pay them to make sure your lot is clear when you open and it is their job to keep it clean when it is snowing during the day. also i would have them doing whatever you also do, then theyre responsible for everything and you can worry about your real job and let them do theirs. just my opinion

8. AceRed

AceRed Junior Member

Thanks
    I've got enough guys standing around that it's a lot cheaper to shovel ourselves than pay another service. My guys get $8.50 to $15/hr. Snow plow guys are getting $46 to $56/hr. Pockets are not that deep. Costs must be saved. I'm sure they would be happy to show up every hour but I'm not sure the wife wants to write that big of a check for snowplowing! :)

So, lets get back to plows. I am going to purchase one. I'm hoping to only purchase one and am hoping to get it right the first time. Yes... I know that is a pipe dream, lol. But I'm going to try!

9. mud

mud Senior Member

In your shoes I think I would skip the smaller v plow. Especially if the truck is one of the longer wheel base options I hate using my 8.5 footer after buying my 9.5 footer so I doubt you would be very happy with the performance of a 7.5 foot plow.

The pro plus would work but you are looking at probably an additional 300-500 to mount it if you pay to have it installed.

The boss, well it depends on the condition and which attachment system if that is worth it or not. But depending on what the wiring and mount cost by the time you buy that and the include the install you might be looking at tacking 1500 on to that 2500 dollar price.

Be very wary when buying a used plow as well. Some people pound the crud out of them and trash them in a year or two, especially if they are used allot, where as if you get one that some old guy just used on his own drive or one that was operated by a guy that don't thrash his equipment you can find some good used ones that will work out just fine for you.

Do yourself a favor as well and check into new plow prices. You may find that they are not that far off what your paying for a used one when its all said and done and you end up with a warranty as well. Your mileage may vary but my snowdogg 8.5 foot vxf ran me 5400 installed last year and my 9.5 was about 300 bucks more from my local dealer and they came with a two year warranty to boot. A few calls to a few different brand dealers may make you change your mind about the new vs used debate. Plus it may give you a better feel on what those dealers are going to be like to deal with should the need arise for parts or service later on.

When sizing the plow its going to come down to personal preference and use. I pushed a 9.5 foot v all last winter with a 5.4 powered f 250 and never wanted for more power nor had any issues with the truck breaking because of the plow's size.

10. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

Personally I think the 7'6" will not leave you satisfied.

What ever you do, i'd make sure you have wings or a V to scoop snow, you'll be kicking yourself later on when you have to make extra passes without some sort of containment.

I'd look at anything 8'+, if its a straight blade, get wings and be carefull of curblines. Personally I'd go with a Vee, I ran one for a while before a wideout and either way wouldnt ever like to use a straight blade. Then again if you can get a straight blade with wings and not have to take them off, that would work fine too.

Check around and surprised it hasnt been mentioned yet, check dealer support, how good they seem and how close they are, if they keeps parts on hand etc etc. Doesnt sound like it'd be a huge deal if the plow went down but its always nice to drive 15mins and have the part on hand then drive 1hr to find they have to order it.

11. AceRed

AceRed Junior Member

I've got 2 decent choices in the works right now.

8 1/2 Western Pro plus with wings. 2 years old. He's asking 4k but said he's flexible. I'm guessing he sells at $3700 plus I have a $500 install charge.

Or
    8 1/2 MVP Plus, Poly. It's a demo plow. Asking price over phone is $5300+tax installed and one year warranty.

I'm leaning towards the demo because of warranty.....and the straight blade because of price.

I think they will both work. The V probably a little better but the wings help a bit when it comes to moving snow.

Of course, I'll finally decide on one and it will be sold by the time I get there! :)

12. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Think about this........ A V plow can do everything a straight plow can do plus more. Yes they cost more but they do more. A V plow can relocate snow very fast. Buy one in the spring when they are cheaper. I use BOSS.

13. AceRed

AceRed Junior Member

I finally decided to pull the trigger. I bought the local dealers Demo Plow. 8 1/2' MVP Plus, Poly blade. It sure looks like a behemoth. I think it will do a good job. The price seemed to be pretty fair and it comes with the 2 year warranty.

I looked at a lot of used plows. Probably would have served me well and some fair pricing. But the reality is I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to pick out bad plows and who knows what I end up with.

A little safer this way.

14. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Smart move . Post some pics when its mounted up.

15. AceRed

AceRed Junior Member

Got it installed! Now just need a little snow to play with.

plowtruck resize.jpg

plow resized.jpg