1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help deciding on plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lakeeffect, Oct 4, 2004.

1. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Putting a new plow on my 2001 F250 PSD and am having trouble deciding which way to go and am looking for some advice. Most of my plowing is long driveways some gravel. Am looking at a 8' Fisher XBlade and a Boss 8'2 Poly V. Both have good dealer support close. Price is same for both. . Here is what I have for pros and cons of each

X Blade

Pro- Stainless blade, trip edge, have used Fishers all my life with good luck, better attack angle
    Cons- have to buy curb shoes for gravel, not convinced on ease of MM2 mounting system(have MM1 it is a PIA)

Boss Poly V

Pros- V blade, poly, looks to be better mounting system, better headlights

Cons- Full trip blade, never used a Boss before, concerned about center hoof leaving trail and also durability of center hoof, more moving parts to break and wearout.

Want this plow to last for at least 10-12 years of service, am sick of painting blades. Any input would be appreciated.

2. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I would get the fisher. A V is nice I would get a V maybe the fisher V, but how does the boss-v trip in the scoop positon. Its impossible for a full trip blade to trip in this positon. Just some food for thought.

3. I have a 2000 F250 Ext. Cab Sbox and just bought a 2002 Western Pro 8.6. This is the unimount system and works pretty well. I would definately get an 8' or more. If you dont, you will hate it cause you'll be running over snow all the time. get the blade with the closest dealer. Personally, I dont like the boss v trip mechanism, because I dont think it works very well in scoop and v modes. A straight blade is good if you put a set of wings on it. Either way, good luck.

4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

The curb shoes for the X-Blade only protect the sides of the plow,they are not like a regular plow shoe and do not hold the bottom of the plow up.
    What didn't you like about the MM1 hook up?The MM2 headgear uses a wider mount opening making it a little easier to get the truck lined up.
    With seasonal maintanance the X-Blade will last a good many years.
    The only negative thing i've heard about the Boss V's are the center shoes getting tore off but there's got to be a fix for that by now.
    I'm not a fan of full trip plows plus i sell Fisher so thats what i use.Don't count out dealer service and location,the best plow in the world isn't worth a dime at 2am broken when the dealer is across the state somewere.

5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

1) Ask around and see which dealer is stronger on customer service. Service can make the difference between success and failure.
    2) All things being equal, I'd go with the Fisher.

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I heard the boss have alot issues with there plows fisher is more of top quality brand

7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

No problems here. :waving:

8. Silverhowie

Silverhowie Junior Member

I'm happy to hear from a happy Boss fan! I was starting to think that they didn't exist!

9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I swear by Boss plows. I've never had ANY problems with mine. They are real popular here in my area. If I couldn't have a Boss, I'd have a Western. :waving:

10. Silverhowie

Silverhowie Junior Member

I was ready to buy a Boss Poly V but the plastic shoe stopped me...not really sure I like the design. I have heard only good things from Western users!

11. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

couple more questions

What do you mean by plastic shoe on the Boss the one I looked at had cast?

Do V's in the straight angled position roll snow as good? We get alot of snow and casting that snow over the banks on long drives is important.

12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i would say western is one of best plows out there

13. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Ordered the XBlade

decided to stick with the Fisher, have run Fishers for over 20 yrs with no problems so I guess why change. The Boss was a tough decision but really hate to go back to a full trip plow and a plow that cant trip in scoop position. plus in talking to people at Fisher they figure a stainless V plow will be on the market in about 2 years and my Fisher dealer wont take Boss plows in trade. Hopefully I made the right decision.