1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help deciding on a snow removal machine

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by uktep, Feb 22, 2015.

1. uktep

uktep Junior Member
    from US

I'm posting this on behalf of someone else. He has been using a light/medium duty John Deer lawn mower rigged with a plow for several years. It's starting to fall apart and he doesn't want to spend money to fix it so he's buying something new. What would you suggest?

This is just for plowing a driveway but it's fairly large and all gravel. It has a hill about 100 feet long with a 25 or so degree incline in spots and only about 15 feet wide. Then it opens up to a flat, 50 foot long section about 20 feet wide. Then another hill (down) about 30 feet and landing.

The main obstacle is money, of course. He wants something dependable but doesn't want more than he needs. I think he's looking at the neighborhood of 10-15k. Anything walk-behind is out of the question. He's looking at a heavy-duty John Deer tractor, a four wheeler, and a small(er) truck. He doesn't own a truck now. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I would go for a tractor with a loader and snowblower (and chains). Can also be used year 'round, and probably retain alot of value if he wants to sell it later.

3. uktep

uktep Junior Member
    from US

Thank you! Is there a make/model you would recommend in that price range?

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Not really; they're generally all about the same. Maybe stick with one that has a dealer close by. I'd also stick with a hydrostatic transmission as opposed to a geared or shuttle one.

5. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

if it were me i would buy an atv and put a plow on it. then you have an atv to have fun with all summer and plow through snow in the winter

6. Ewcelectric

Ewcelectric Junior Member

ATV's don't last long doing a lot of snow at a time.
    Worked well for my 100'x25' driveway
    Didn't last long when I moved to the country. fWiw

7. uktep

uktep Junior Member
    from US

Thanks for the replies everyone. We live in eastern pa so we only have light to moderate snowfall on average (this year is looking to be a bit of an exception). He's not really interested in recreation so an atv would still only be used for snow removal. His main challenges for removal are getting up and down his hills and keeping the driveway wide enough because it's fairly narrow to begin with in spots.

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

get a jeep or a chevy 1500 short box throw a plow on there. they have a lot of nice used stuff from dealers on ebay

9. uktep

uktep Junior Member
    from US

Thanks. I think he looked at a jeep but someone told him the front doesn't hold up well on them

10. novawagonmaster

novawagonmaster Senior Member

My Jeep would do well in this situation, and fits the budget mentioned.
    Ballast/counterweight and snow tires (I use and recommend Bridgestone Blizzaks) are going to be necessary.

11. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Tell him to look for an old YJ with a solid front axle and leaf springs. They'll hold up to the plow, and are cheap.

Or a Ford ranger...

I would also suggest a Tacoma, but that plus a plow won't be in the budget.

Definitely say no to the ATV. That is way too much WIDTH of areas for the WEIGHT of the machine. It won't be able to do it.

You could pick up a new small 4WD Chinese tractor + FEL + Front plow + PTO BLOWER for altogether < $10k.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/chinese-tractors/141734-meyer-plow-jinma-284-a.html#post1674634

--- see what's going on in that post, its an adapter for a small tractor's FEL to mount a regular plow. The tractor itself has hydraulics that can control the plow angling. The FEL can do the up/down.

So do like that, plus a blower on the back for when it really sucks, or when you need to move the banks.

12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

stay away from certiam models of yj's some still had carbs whats wront with a short box 1500

13. novawagonmaster

novawagonmaster Senior Member

After having a couple CJs and a YJ, I really prefer the TJ. Much easier to live with if you spend much time in it.
    The coil spring suspension rides and handles much better and provides better articulation off road. No worries about it holding up with a plow. Air shocks (front) make a big difference.

14. jasonv

from kannada

What's wrong with a carburetor? Reliable, no rotting wires to go wrong.

But really where did you come up with that? They've been FI since at least 1989.

15. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

I plowed for about 20 years with a Suzuki Samurai... a Jeep would do fine.
    10-15K would do wonders.
    (air shocks are never a good idea. springs hold weight, shocks control bounce)

16. jasonv

from kannada

FYI: when people talk about "air shocks", they really mean "air springs". The nice thing about air springs, is that they are *highly* progressive, and the amount of air in them can be varied.

Having said that, there are two KINDS of air springs; the "balloon" air springs (which work in conjunction with the existing steel spring and hydraulic shock), and the actual spring-integrated-with-shock air spring, like FOX FLOAT. Neither is really well adapted for a plow. Fox float, for example, are typically used in snowmobiles. Probably good for no more than about 300 pounds each.

Fox float is made of two chambers. The outer chamber is the "air spring", the inner chamber is a standard old fashioned hydraulic shock absorber.

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

FYI, They dont make air bags for the front.

They are talking about "Air~shocks".
    Yes shocks are used to control unsprung weight.

yet, some of use them (air shocks) to hold up their plows....

and I vote for fuel injection over a carb.

my YJ did fine plowing with the 4.0.

18. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Air shocks were very popular in the 70's. And there are many issues with anything that tries to support weight but uses the shock mounts.
    Air bags on the other hand are much more positioned to support weight.
    Then there are also the timbrens type of aftermarket additions.

19. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Used MFWD ag tractor, diesel power with a loader, heated cab and a rear blower for moving piles. You can do just fine for 10 to 15k. It doesn't have to be shiny and new, it has to work.

20. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

And when it comes to the tractor brand, what ever has good dealer support near by. They all break sooner or later, they all need filters and maintenance parts.