1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! coolant problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by buster223, Mar 4, 2007.

1. buster223

buster223 Junior Member

I have a 97' Chevy Blazer V6 4x4. The heating went out in it yesterday and the temperature gauge keeps going up and down, but not all the way up to the point of overheating. I thought the thermostat was stuck, so I got a new one and switched it out. I still don't have heat and the temp. gauge is still moving up and down. There is coolant coming from somewhere but cannnot tell where it is coming from. If anyone has any ideas or advice to give, please help.
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Do you have a general idea of where it is coming from?? Front of truck, side or what?? It could possibly be the water pump going to poop. They have a weephole in the bottom of them. If the seals inside go bad, coolant will start to seep out

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Sounds like a heater core took a crap.

I would make sure you have circulation 1st. That will tell you if your water pump is working. After that depending where the leak is though it sounds like a heater core. $$$ unless you know how to DIY.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  4. buster223

buster223 Junior Member

The coolant is all over the front like the fan and the front of the motor. And it's all over the passenger side like the tire and the balljoints and stuff. I can't tell were it's coming from but I did check the weep hole and it was bone dry.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you check both weep holes on the pump? They have one on top and one on the bottom.
  6. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

My guess would be heater hoses.
    Check your heater hoses, they run on the passenger side of the engine.
    there about 1-1 1/2" in dia. and run from the engine to the firewall and hook up to your heater core.
    Also check the clamps at both ends of both hoses.

Since you have lost heat that means your coolant is low.
    Or you plugged up your heater core, with a leak fixer.
    The blazers have had issues with there heater cores for years, but you would notice coolent on your passenger side floor board if that was bad.
  7. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

The 4.3 has a plastic intake that is very prone to cracking and leaking. Very expensive to fix if that is the problem.