1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help!confused on placing first comm.bids

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cntryboymc, Aug 24, 2004.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

thanks for all the great info guys!in the past i've only plowed residential driveways and a couple of doctor's offices.i am now full-time employed with my business-coleman property services.i started calling some local businesses to get info on bidding for their snowplowing.i have some questions though.any types of businesses to stay away from?any specific wording i should put on a bid?how do you calculate shoveling and salting?i have $1 million liability for snow removal/lawncare is that enough?
  2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I had a lot of restuarants last year, and they can be a blessing, as well as a headache. They require service all the time, reagrdless of how much snow it is. Since they have so many people coming in and out during the day, everything has to be top notch. This equates to pretty decent pay. As for sidewalks, I give the PM a small range that I would work in. It would be say, $120 -$150 for x" to x" snowfall. I get a figure by actually standing on the sidewalks and making a good guess of how long it would take me to shovel it. I try to picture in my head 2 guys working, and take a stab at how long it would take. Man, I lost my butt the first year of plowing because I didn't bid my sidewalks right. You'll learn soon enough.
  3. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

thanks for the info!i try to use a snowblower whenever possible.any thoughts on salting?
  4. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

comm. bids

I actually posted a thread on pricing a large comm. property.I have been plowing smalled comm. for a few years as well as 24 hours operations.anything to do with sick people(nursing home, hospital) makes money because they cannot have buildup.I have one acct that has a limit of 2" max.they pay every time i plow.with 12 locations, i keep making my rounds.just remember when pricing, take into consideration that if you price out sanding and shoveling figuring you will be there, and get called to sand some morning.make sure you arent charging $20.. making a special trip will cost u more.always price higher than you expect.you can always come down, but never raise it.
  5. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

any special wording i should add to a bid or clauses,any tips for getting your bid accepted?