1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help, Commercial Lot Pricing Upstate, NY

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dnipro Max, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Dnipro Max

Dnipro Max Member

HI, I'm bidding on this commercial lot with 3 stores on it, lot its self is 600'x325' that everything, has sidewalks next to buildings, and parking lots, what the prices? per push, per hour, per season, and also whats the salting prices, they want everything include snowplowing, shawoling, and salting, Some body help me with this, i'm new to this, Thanks in advance,
    Vitaly

2. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

If it's open and you can fly through it your looking at 4 1/2 hours minimum with one truck. That's for the plowing only. I would charge $450.00 for it ($100/hr). Try to get 10 visits prepaid.

Salt would be about $1,000.00 per application

Depending on how much shoveling/snowblowing is involved, I bid at $55 per 1/2 hour.

The whole job will probably take you about 5 1/2 hours by yourself and the approx charge is $1,600 +/- ...

What town is it in?

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That is a big lot. If there are no breaks in it, there is going to be a lot of snow piling up as you wind roe across the lot. Make sure you allow enough money for the bad nights.

4. Dnipro Max

Dnipro Max Member

Thanks guys,
    Its in the City of Rochester, also its in the corner of two streets, is city responsible for sidewalk around it next to streets? three building on it all separated, and apart from each others, it has this metal posts on lot around kinda dividing each building away from each other lots and roads, lot is 600'x325' building are 105'x275', 100'x40', 100'x70', also there is drive thure on one building, i thing about 750' of sidewalks next to buildings, i think that u can put snow in the back since there is not much going there, only loading dock, what are the prices if i need to get loader to stack and/or haul snow out? and whats better to charge per hour or per trip? any body more prices? thanks a lot
    Vitaly

5. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

get a big piece of equipment with a pusher box and do it in 1/4 the time..just
    need to rent the equip at the right price and buy the box(many thousands)

6. Foz

Foz Senior Member

If I understand correctly you have approximately 155,000 SF to plow & 750 Lf of 5 Ft wide walk??

If so, I would charge as follows:

Plow: $390 - $450 per plow at 2"
    Salt: $140.00 per ton, use 1 - 1/2 ton depending on conditions
    Walks: $120.00 per plow/blow
    Ice melt (walks): $100.00 & use 1 1/2 - 2 bags calcium

The next consideration is that you need to find out if the property owner is responsible for the walk at the street or if the city will do the work. Then remember that you guys get an average of 90+ inches of snow per season, you will need a Bobcat or second truck to keep up, one truck with straight blade is NOT enough!

7. Dnipro Max

Dnipro Max Member

Thanks, Foz
    I we would get that job, than my brother would traid he SUV in for truck. and we would get v-plow on it, but its all just hopes, we ill see what happens, any one alls on some opinions, prices, etc,
    Thanks in advance

8. Dnipro Max

Dnipro Max Member

Any one has more info,
    thanks

9. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

commercial lot

I have a 165,000 square foot lot.I get far more than everyone else is thinking for this one you are looking at. You must figure, as someone said, in a big storm you will need space and equipment.Also if you do the walks, that means someone with snowblower, or atv and plow...more money..Dont sell yourself short.Guys around here always bid high with these jobs.Keeps everyone from working for free..Figure how long it will take, add a few extra hours for safety, figure in salting, labor, equipment..Took me a few days of figuring before I finallize a price. Remember, you can always make extra and be happy..but if you bid low, and dont make any money, is it worth it?

10. Dnipro Max

Dnipro Max Member

thanks,
    its hard for me to figure on my own since its my first lot like this, any one has more sigestions let me know, i got to put price by tomorrow

11. Foz

Foz Senior Member

You may want to an an accumulation clause also, say extra $$ for more that 12" in 24 hours?? You know your snow situation beter than we do. Remember that in my example, we get paid for every 2" of snow, so for 12" of snow we would get 6 times the base amount.

12. Dnipro Max

Dnipro Max Member

yeap, in my contract it says plowing to be done 2-3", so if come three times a day for 2-3" i'll charge everytime, and after 7" there will be extra charges, so i thing is ok, will se how it goes, any one all's more info, prices, comments
    thanks

13. Dnipro Max

Dnipro Max Member

Foz,
    your pricing on ice melt walks $100 per time with use 1 1/2 to 2 bag
    or $100 ber bag?

14. Dnipro Max

Dnipro Max Member

Hey Steve,
    why so much for salting? is salt expensive to buy here? where do u buy salt in rochester?
    thanks

15. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

No it's not real expensive. I can get bulk for $65/ton or bagged for around $100/ton. I get my bagged salt from Lesco and Chase-Pitkin. I charge alot for salting because your insurance premium will almost double as soon as you say you will be salting. Salting is a huge liability. And dumping bags into the hopper at 2:30 in the morning is not fun when its -20 windchill and snowing 4" an hour..

IMO, you can do it for less and still make money; but you will be freezing your butt off and will have to pay alot more for insurance. :waving:

16. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

i never heard there was a difference between snow plowing insurance and salting in addition...anyone else have this experience?

17. Dnipro Max

Dnipro Max Member

Thanks guys
    Steve, that much insurance cost? now i have GL and WC plus Comm Auto, so u know the price of that, i wont thing they will raised because of salting, any one all on this issue,
    thanks