1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Cj5 with fisher plow- Buy it?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by KellySeamster, Jan 6, 2010.

1. KellySeamster

KellySeamster Junior Member

Just moved out to the country and bought our first home with a long gravel driveway with a hill at the bottom. NEED something quick- was gonna buy a large snowplower but just found a 1969 Cj5 with fisher plow in relatively good condition for $800 - What do you think? Will it do the job or not? (No plowing or jeep experience here and a hubby from the south with no experience!) Thanks!! -Kelly

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

sure it will work.. so will a snowblower.. Or you could have someone plow your drive for ya and not have to worry about it..
    If you have no mechanical ability I would say stay away..

3. KellySeamster

KellySeamster Junior Member

Thanks for the advice! Is it hard to find parts for if something breaks? My husband is really handy and can make-shift things pretty well but doesn't have a lot of mechanical experience.

4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Thats a pretty old rig- you'll probably spend more in down time and repairs than you would if you had it plowed professionally.

5. LEVE

LEVE Member

The price is great... however CJ's can be/are rust buckets. Don't ask me how I know...

Take a very careful look at the frame and tub for rust. Also look at the steering box mount area of the frame for fractures. If it's free of rust great... if it's not you just paid $800 for the plow and try to part out the Jeep.

6. magik235

magik235 Senior Member

For years, I have used a 1971 CJ5 with a 225CID odd-fire V6, CRT Performance HEI distributor, Heddman headers, 390 Holley 4 barrell, FlowKooler high capacity waterpump, 100 amp Proform alternator, Optima battery, T14 3 speed transmission, Dana 18 transfer case, Dana 44 rear axle and a Dana 27 in front. More pictures of its resurrection can be seen at
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2608975/1

I plow an 800+ foot sloped gravel driveway and the associated ditch area. After plowing it for 23 years, nothing has improved my plowing as much as the 2" pipe yard guard.
    The yard guard thread is below.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=47451&page=3&highlight=yard+guard

[​IMG]

7. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

for 800 buy that baby and change the fluids and drive it into the ground... just keep it undercover when not in use

8. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Mag
    What kind of lights are those on your windshield, been looking for something like that for my jeep.

Mike

9. magik235

magik235 Senior Member

They are $25 Navigator brand from Fleet Farm. They are light weight plastic that really work well. The windshield lights significantly improve my night vision. I love them.

10. JCStrasser

JCStrasser Member

Kelly,

For your first year it might be best to find a local contractor to do the plowing. Then in the spring you can decide if the $$ for a contractor is better or worse than doing it yourself.

If you get BOMBED with a couple of feet of snow (we just got 17+" in northern NH) it might be nice to have someone else out in the cold in the middle of the night.

Also, it is NO FUN when your equipment has a mechanical in the middle of plowing- DAMHIK.

Best of luck with your decision.
    John

11. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

FlyKelly, I am looking at the lift frame for your jeep? Does the lower unit return to the frame behind the front spring hangers? My CJ's all go back to the hole behind the hanger, both western and myers do.

12. magik235

magik235 Senior Member

The plow mount is not for a CJ. I modified a Bronco II setup to fit on my CJ. The lower angle supports mount to an angle iron section connected to both frame rails.
    [​IMG]

13. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Thats a beautiful Jeep:drinkup: