1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help choosing a sander??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fordpusher, Dec 10, 2012.

1. fordpusher

fordpusher Member
    from mass

help me choose, please

swenson 1.8 yd electric or gas stainless steel

myers 1.5 yd gas stainless steel

all are the same price

2. Jim74

Jim74 Member

What are you putting it in? What dealers are the closest and are they open during a storm?

3. fordpusher

fordpusher Member
    from mass

dealers are about same distance, salt / sand mixture

4. Jim74

Jim74 Member

I meant what type of truck/bed size, between the two stainless Swenson hands down. One thing I do when comparing models is to see what the cities and towns use. When government agencies want to buy something they go to the low bidder, when cities and towns want something they use budget money and usually buy top name products so to answer your question somewhat I've seen lots of Swenson sanders, Flink, Hi-Way,air flo, but never seen a Myers on town or city equipment.

5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Well, it will really narrow down your decision to know that Swenson makes Meyer spreaders. They have nothing to do with the plows, but they do make their spreaders. You will notice design similarities in both, especially the PolyHawk.

But I truly dislike everything about Meyer products, and think the construction of their plows look like toys to me. As a result, the spreaders have been thrown into the same category for me even though I have not had the opportunity to look at a Meyer spreader close in person.

I am however planning the purchase of a Swenson 2 yd electric.

6. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Myers /Swenson gas sander the thing works great. I also have an airflo electric. Go with the electric. Every year the electric just plug it in and go. The gas half a day playing with the pony motor. Gas in it up durning storms . Check in the oil.Needs a battery. You get the picture.

7. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I agree electric is the way to go. I sold my gas spreader at the begining of last year for an electric and wish i would have done it sooner

8. fordpusher

fordpusher Member
    from mass

thanks guys, it will be going into my f350 psd utility body srw truck.. i am also going to add a set of timbens in the rear.

i also like to idea of the remote on the swenson.