1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!! Can't Turn Off My 6.2! ('86)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by uglytruk, Apr 28, 2005.

1. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

I just picked up my '86 'Burb and after sitting for 1 1/2 years, (158k), it runs OK. Banks sidewinder is fun, buuutttttttt, it doesn't turn off when you turn the key backwards. Usaually a few flicks of the key, and she dies. But last night, no luck. I finally figured out to pull the 12g. red(?) wire off the top of the pump. Did it again when I got home. The radio and warning lights work as if the switch (top of steering column) is doing its job. Seatbelt buzzer was cycling etc. I believe the fuel cut-off solenoid is sticking. Maybe not, pulling power works instantly, two electric contacts on ign. switch? Any ideas??? :gunsfiring:
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

probabily correct, could be the solinoid sticking (usually they fail to retract and don't turn on fuel not fail to shut off fuel) so I suspect the relay that controls the shutoff is bad.