1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help!! can't get plow off truck!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by yellowdogs, Feb 9, 2011.

1. yellowdogs

yellowdogs Junior Member

I went to take my plow off the truck this morning and only one pin would release. I tried to pull it out but it wouldn't budge! Any suggestions?

2. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Check your pin lock. The spring may be broke that automatically releases it so that the pin will release.

3. Indy

Indy Senior Member

boss plows are a little picky about being on level ground........

Make sure it's as flat and level as possible and don't twist or turn the truck into the plow.

If you really struggle, you can "bump" the plow left and right and sometimes that will relaease the pins, be careful.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

a big hammer lol

5. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

My process:
    1) Drop plow, leave controller in Float.
    2) Drop kickstand on plow
    3) Flip over the tabs that lock the pins in place (the pins never pop out on their own)
    4) Straddle the plow frame and lean against the light bar, 99% of the time this takes the pressure off the pins and lets them "pop". If not you can wiggle the plow a bit or move the truck forward or back a foot or two will do it.
    5) Disco electrical.

6. yellowdogs

yellowdogs Junior Member

I"ve never had a problem takeing it off before. Its a 8'2" vxt. Wondering if something is bent or broken that could be holding it on?

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I have and use an extremely sophisticated tool for such a problem.It is known as a 1.5'' diameter,4' long black pipe with a 90* elbow and a 2-3'' pipe stubbed off that.Don't even have to bend over,just give a smack or 2 to my 1 stubborn pin that never ejects automatically.NOT B&B approved,but works great.:mechanic::drinkup::drinkup:

8. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

x2 :)........

9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Are you absolutely sure that you are on level ground?

10. LawnmastersMike

LawnmastersMike Member

Along with being on flat level ground also make sure your plow is all the way back in the "V" position.

11. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

13. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

I bet you bent the A-frame the last time you pushed, raise the plow off the ground 1in. and see if both sides are 1in. off the ground, bet one side is on the ground and the other side is 2in. off the ground.

14. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

These Boss V plows are tempermental ... everything has to be perfect. Sometimes mine works great, other times I can't get it off or get it on or get the pins to lock or unlock, etc. It's a crap shoot everytime for me. I use a 5' CN bar to wrestle it around.

15. mypolaris1

mypolaris1 Member

Make sure you don't have ballast/salt/weight in the bed. Little bit of weight throws the 15 1/2" off and they don't like to come off or on if not @ that height. That's of course if the truck mounts were installed on the truck when it didn't have ballast in it.

16. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

are we talking NASA level or ave joe in CT. level:nod:

17. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

I drop mine on not quite level ground. Most of the time there is no problem... That is until the plow started breaking down... :realmad: The thing is only 1.5 years old and still under warranty.

18. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Sometimes while using both hands, if you push the upper part of the carriage near the light mounting tube towards the truck, you can relieve the binding on the pin and you will hear it pop. Usually works for me.

19. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I have to do this a lot ... both putting the plow on and taking it off. More so putting it on.

20. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I just flip the pins, THEN RUN THE TOWER UP, to releave pressure, then back down......