1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Calculating Salt Quantities and Plow Times

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by G.Landscape, Oct 29, 2012.

1. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

OK, just lost this lot by a significant amount, and wanted to check my plow times and salt calculations.

Guelph Ontario Canada

- 1" Trigger.
    - Small building is a restaurant (Open Late) and there is a Sub shop in the bigger side
    - The Sidewalk along the big building is half covered by the over hangs so mostly drifting snow to be dealt with there.
    - Must be cleared by 6:30am
    - Salt entire lot and sidewalks
    - I have highlighted the snow pile areas
    - Ice melter on Sidewalks and Treated salt for parking areas

If you could please
    1. Plow Times
    2. Sidewalk Shovel Time
    3. Sidewalk Salt Quantities
    4. Parking lot salt quantities

Thanks

Plowing.jpg

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

About an 1-1.5 hrs to plow it.Less then an hr for shoveling and about 5-600 lbs of salt.2 bags of calcium for the sidewalks.

3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Sounds about right ,a little less time if your using a more productive non Boss xls,8100 or wideout!

4. G.Landscape

from Ontario

OK, i am feeling a little better now, i had 400lbs of salt and 3 bags of calcium. with 2.5 hours to plow and hand shovel. I added about 20mins travel time because its not close to my other accounts but that shouldn't have put me so far off.....

I have as much in salt calculated as the other contractor has for the entire season....

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

400lbs of salt for the winter is a joke.
    Were you bidding per push or seasonal? Who wants your #'s, the client, sounds like he is suspect if the other guy can do it for their price.

6. G.Landscape

from Ontario

Sorry 400lbs was per time.... obviously not enough for the entire season..... neither is 3 bags of calcium...

Bid was Seasonal..... the owner thinks I am out to lunch.... we have lost a few this year and thought I would see what other thought on time. I am getting the feeling the other guys price didn't include salt for some reason.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I thought you meant 400/time and he was 400/season.
    It's an easy plow but having to put the snow in dedicated areas takes time, regardless of what plow you have. Some customers really don't understand that.

Around here someone would bid that place for $5,000

I was asked to bid a place that was 2 acres. Building in the middle of a rectangular lot. All the snow had to go to the back. So you had to do the front both sides and the back. Hand shoveling all around the building and salt included. They were paying $10k and wanted me to beat that. I didn't even bother pricing it. Why did they ask me to bid, because they were unhappy with the service but the owner won't pay more. You get what you pay for.

8. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Did Nu Image get it? They come into down town Milton to plow from Guelph. Not a drive I'd want.

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Alot of the Guelph guys reach for work... the market there is saturated due to the ag university I think.

Did you just bid this site or is it a loss from last season? If you lost it then you would think you would know what time and material is on it.

10. G.Landscape

from Ontario

No We were just bidding on it, but if was for a client we had done a bunch of install work for this summer and he was quite pleased with our work. He said if it was close he would have gien it to us but with the other guys 1/3 of our price he said it was just "Not a good business decision"

Not sure who got the contract....

Also looked up who won the tenders for some City/Region stuff around the area, apparently the new GO station in town was awarded to a company from Hamilton Area.....

11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I can't really talk about reaching. In my early twenties I worked for a company out of Erin in downtown Toronto, Richmond Hill, Brampton/Missi. Wouldn't touch anything out this way...including Guelph.

12. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

The Citys and Towns don't care. Its all B.S. They write in the tenders how they want someone local.

Was it ALC who got it?

Downtown sounds like that's where the $$ is at. Shoveling and clearing with ATVS entrances to office buildings. Constant service. I know a Milton co that goes into T.O.
    I towed my skid steer in the snow once. Scary stuff even with snow tires on the tuck.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012