1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help buy a sand spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snow man 0311, Dec 8, 2009.

1. snow man 0311

snow man 0311 Member

Hey guys new to the web site and it's great .I am buying a tailgate spreader and don't know witch one to buy ? Right now I have one pretty big lot that I plow and sand ,and just picked up a small road going up a hill into a cul-da-sac that needs sanding < I am looking at the meyers mate it's pretty cheap in price or the blaster 750s or the western pro-flo 2 or fisher sc2 their pretty muck the same it's driving me nuts .I'm will be spreading sand / salt mix and my sand gets wet I know it's alot but any help would be great ...:dizzy: also maintenance ? pullies belts motors conveyors ........thanks need it soooooooon
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

id suggest a stainless v box. how are you going to load the material?
  3. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

tailgate spreaders are a pain to load material and i would go with either an airflo or fisher
  4. bosman

bosman Senior Member

After waiting 5 weeks for an Airflo, I cancelled the order and picked up a Buyers SaltDogg 3/4 yard electric hopper spreader. It might cost a couple hundred more than the western or fisher, but well worth the money. Not much maintenance, and had it in 3 days.
  5. snow man 0311

snow man 0311 Member

sand spreader

O.K. I see your points I will be picking up materials from a suppler on long island he will duump it it the bed of my 1995 ford f250 diesel then I will load it in the spreader when I
    need it , but I need to keep a snowblower in the back because I do some long walkways...Other than that I would go with a v box down to one truck for now partner crashed his and has now no truck now hate to say it but sucks for him he screw me last season or 2..so Im back to the same question:help:
  6. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the larger capacity tailgate units that will flow a wet mix are quite heavy (to heavy to remove and install on-site), and I don't believe that they are available with a swing mount. With that in mind, how do you plan to get the snowblower in and out of the bed? If you're running a 2 stage, without 2 people it's not gonna happen. If it is a lightweight single stage than you can fit it in the bed with a vbox, which sounds like it would be the better bet anyway. How much sanding are you planning to do? The other option would be to sub it out. Where on the Island are you?
  7. snow man 0311

snow man 0311 Member

Well the meyers mate has a swing mount and I normally have a second person to shoval or snowblow ..One blower is small rubber paddle and the other is a toro steel that I have atv ramps for right now I have two accounts that need sand but that could be more .I have like 25 or so accounts res. and bus...I'm im st.james and plow the north shore
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  8. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Usually the smaller tailgate units are not all that capable of flowing sand, especially wet stuff. I think even with a vibrator or 2 you would have a tough time. How big are the properties that require "sand"? If they are small, I'd go with a tailgate unit and bagged product, but if you'll go through more than half a pallet a shot than a larger unit is definitely in order. I have stops on the north shore as well, from Mt. Sinai to St. James & Lake Grove, if you are not ready to take the hit of buying a bigger unit but find you need one, we can talk.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  9. snow man 0311

snow man 0311 Member

I don't want to sound snippy ,but like I said I need to get a snow blower in and out of the bed most of the time ...The one parking lot lot is a decent size and would have a guy spread sand by hand out of the bed about a yard ,yard and a half ..Don't mind taking the hit on a sander will make that money up by plowing just don't know which one to get...Thanks give me your number and I will keep you in mind
  10. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Take the plunge, get a V-box spreader! Gives me hives just thinking of dealing with bags, wet, slippery, not to mention all those wrappers. Never needed a vibrator on mine to spread salt or sand. Besides you'll have the ability to bid more jobs.