1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Brake controller

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turbo5560, Aug 9, 2008.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

So here is the story:
    Brake controller is not working when i put my foot on the brake. If I use the slider on the controller the brakes will work.
    So i wrote that same problem on here a while back and the response I got is the controller is bad. So after much delay I bought the exact same controller and installed it today and now it doesn't work at all, not even the slider! I tested the old one and it actually is still good (yes i should of done this along time ago). So then I thought the harness might be bad and I tested that as well and that is still good. Now I don't know where to go from here.
    And it's on an 2002 Chevy 2500 HD. Please help! Getting frustrated with this!
  2. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Well in the end this means your not getting a signal to the brake controller when you step on the pedal.

So to test, use a test light or volt metre.

Your install or instructions should tell you what wire is there to bring the signal from the truck to the controller, think it's normally red.

Check it behind the controller when you step on the pedal, if you get a reading then your getting a signal and i would say bad controller.
    if you get no signal then it's maybe the harness is not right for that truck and your not plugged in at the right spot for the wire (happened to me guy made the harness wrong I had to move a wire in it so it plugged into the right spot)

Assuming your using the plug under the dash to hook the harness in, if you check the wire behind the controller when get no power when your foot is on the pedal, I would then remove the harness and try the same test on the trucks side where you plug the harness in to, just try to remeber when the signal from truck wire plugged into. It's not hard to figure out where each wire should be, I think there is like a live power, a ground, the signal wire, and the one to send power down the your trailer wire harness. Finding where the signal wire should be is not hard, step on the pedal find a live plug there and then release the pedal and you should lose the power. (this is all in the one spot where the harness plugged in)

if you get no power at any of the plugs when on the pedal then then it's something on the truck between the brake light switch and that spot under the dash for the brake controller harness. and I've yet to have that problem to know where to look.

Hopefully some of this made sense,
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008