1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Blizzard says 810 is too heavy for a 3/4 ton Dodge!

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by trustyrusty, Dec 30, 2008.

1. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

I want to replace my old Western with a Blizzard 810 mounted on an 06 Dodge 2500Quad Cab short bed with a 5.9 Cummins. All the dealers I've talked to say they won't mount it for me because it's not recommended (too heavy). I can mount it myself but don't want to create problems. Any ideas, anybody? Timbrens maybe?

2. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

well its not that its too heavy. dodges front ends are the weak link. their just not as beefy as others. i had a guy around here who has an 05. and his front end basicly fell apart last year from the weight of his V. About $3k in repairs. I thought it was funny though :D i had to do his work, after mine of couse :$$

3. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

None of the manufactures websites will put any plow on a 2500 with a diesel. Except for the F250 Diesel which can carry any plow you want! This is based on the front axle rating.

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

You guys are something, always claiming the Dodge front end is weak. Are you aware that a Cummins weights 1200 lbs, while a Ford diesel is under 1000 and a Chevy diesel is under 900? That gives you guys a little more breathing room right there.

And I haven't had any problems with my front end and I carry a 9'2" Boss V. Just cause somebody knows a guy who had a problem, doesn't mean everyone else had that problem too!

What about all the Chevy guys who can't even carry their plow with out their it's frame hitting the ground on a bump or a turn so they all crank up their T-Bars?

And what about all the Fords that shoot flames? Guess they are all like that?

Oh yeah, I forgot.......... you go ahead and get that plow. You don't need Timbrens. We have a solid front axle. Just make sure your rims and tires are up to the load, because that is actually the weak link in the load capacity on the front. You can get some Timbrens if you want, but my truck only drops an inch with the 9'2" V. KAPOW!

5. shepoutside

shepoutside Member

Some guys have them in my area, but the DOT, with there portable scales, has been yanking them, for being overweight on the front end. Some of these guys had tailgate spreaders too, but that didn't help enough. Not sure what there like in your area.

6. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

I have wideouts on both my dodge 2500's No problems yet

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I had one on my 2005 Ram, and had no problems.

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmmmm, looks like the mods deleted some posts and now my rant looks out of place. Oh well! ussmileyflag

9. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

Thanks, guys, for the input. I think it's settled in my mind that, being I live in an area that doesn't get as much snow as some, and the fact that I am an owner/operator (and have been for quite a while) of heavy trucks and equipment and understand the need to constantly have my "sixth sense" tuned to the demands I am putting on my equipment, I will very likely be fine with one of these wide plows. No offense to those who have had problems, since I know we almost all try to take care of our equipment, but I just think that those who have had problems probably plow ten times the snow I do and would maybe have had issues with any truck/plow configuration. I think you fella's have answered my query well. Thanks again.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check out the Snoway site, they allow plows on any of the diesels, except Fords with-out the factory tow pack. Then they specify that you must have the fan clutch changed

11. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I had the same problem when I wanted to put a plow on my 2002 Ford Excursion with a 7.3 diesel. I even spoke with my Ford dealer who I have bought quite a few trucks from and was told that they under rate the axles... I finally put a Blizzard plow on it any way and haven't had any problems, plows been on since 2003...

12. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I thought the problem was that too much weight on the front would but that nice crinkle in the top of the cab like I have seen on a few Chevy ext. cabs. I guess the crumple zones built into the truck can start to bend if you happen to hit a bad pothole or RR tracks, etc.

13. The PuSher MaN

The PuSher MaN Senior Member

Irregardless of if the powerstroke is lighter ford diesels have a 6000 lb front end even in an f-250 and 6200 in the 450 and 550 whereas dodge is 4800 or 5200. Quad/crew cab and diesel with a heavy plow isn't a good idea really, if you are plowing tight areas with alot of turning and raising the plow I wouldn't go with a blade that is over your trucks limits.

14. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Well Dodge says not to put any plow on its quad cab diesels. But I see alot of them with plows.

15. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

I have two dodge 2500 with 810s and mine is a quadcab diesel and works great!!!!!!!!!!!

16. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

True. The newer dodge 2500 and 3500's are holding up the front end with only the lower ball joints. The uppers offer lateral support only. This is the weak link. If you are prepared for it it's no big deal but dodge owners (myself included---'03cummins) should be ready to replace lower ball joints on the american axle equipped plow trucks. The dana axles had stronger ball joints with uppers helping too (ford still uses them) but all trucks have their weak areas. If you know what will fail it won't catch you by surprise.

17. damian

damian Senior Member

Some quad cab applications have the potential to over gross the weight rating of the front axle if you install the plow and fill the cab w/the max limit of passengers,this would put the installer at a legal risk in case of accident,you could do the install yourself and not fill cab w/passengers while plowing,or do whatever you want the risk is yours.

18. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird, it's a plane! It's...it's...

SuperCoils!!:cool: Part number SSC23 for the 4WD Dodge. 5000 pound rated capacity.

Yes, 5000 pounds. Complete ownage of the mighty Blizzard 810.

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/SuperSprings.htm

19. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Actually, it's the uppers that wear much quicker (avg. 3 to 1) ... the reason Carli designed their new uppers first.
    It's true that the lowers carry nearly all of the front-end weight when the truck is sitting still ... but the dynamics change when the truck is being used/driven.
    I would recommend Timbrens whether you think you need them or not. They really help to soften the impact (suspension compression) when rolling into the piles & stacking. I was surprised how much they helped "soften the blow" while performing this operation. I couldn't imagine going back to the stock bump stops while plowing.